Roof rack Traveller

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
fforrester
MMOC Member: No

Roof rack Traveller

Post by fforrester »

Apologies if this has been exhaustively dealt with already but I could not find a realted thread beyond one that treated of chroming a rack. The Traveller has an aluminium roof unsuitable for any weight, unlike the saloon which has steel roof.
However, I am determined to reinforce the interior of the car, pillars etc and design a wooden roof rack. It simply must be possible. Has anyone gone down this route before?[frame]Image[/frame]
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Re: Roof rack Traveller

Post by Sparticus »

I have seen the racks that start at the cab, the strongest roof section. They seem like a good idea but without lots of fabrication I feel it'll be tricky! :D
Grant, 23, Morris Minor traveller - Saloon. Merlin traveller 90% finished!
DSN Classics

SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

A small trailer might be a simpler solution if you just need more luggage space?
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

I think the IssigonisKid posted about his wood roof rack. My roof took too long to repair after somebody fitted a rack in the past and I hate the noise they make, but each to his own...!

Bertie.
fforrester

Post by fforrester »

Many thanks for the replies - I'm simply determined. I've spent a huge fortune on the car and will not stop here !
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

Hi all,

Yes, I made my own roof rack - I attached the pics on page 2 of another post.
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 1&start=20
[frame]Image[/frame]

I did mine by using the 1960's roof rack feet from a set of bars I bought on ebay. I didn't use any strengthening in the roof as I don't plan to carry any load. I did it to make car car look differant at the shows, so many Travellers.
Yes I know the gutterings are only nailed on and if you clamp it to tight you risk damaging the gutters etc etc. I'm still undecided if I like it or not so may take it off. I've since aquired a proper 60's metal one so will clean that one up and paint it - may add some wood to it too.

Randolf Williams, a well known American Minor fan may be able to offer you some advice, his car has a wooden rack integrated into the roof.
http://www.morrisminorforum.com/article ... eller.html

Whatever you decide - it's your car - enjoy the project.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last