Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dapplepony8
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Step by step guide for quarter light rubber replacement

Post by Dapplepony8 »

Recently I managed to fit the new weather strips to my 4 door and Thanks for everybody's help on that.
My current project is the quarter light rubbers and I am still confused by all the postings I have read.

It doesn't help that I've had a stroke and have to be even more creative when tackling the most simple of tasks

Anyway:

Can someone give me a step by step guide as I currently have only managed to remove the quarter light and old rubbers and had to walk away and have a rethink

For instance, does the upright seal go in first? I know it will need trimming but will the other seal also need trimming?

James
NOEL
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Step by step guide for quarter light rubber replacement

Post by NOEL »

Hi
I did mine last year, from memory I had a small amount of trimming on the upright section, I started at the top of the window drivers side and worked my way around, the first door I undone too many screws really as I was not certain how it was all held together, the new rubbers I had obtained were a little bigger/thicker than the originals and needed some persuasion with a plastic tipped scraper, I was reluctant to use anything sharp in case of damaging the rubber but you soon realise you have to use a little force to keep it in place within the channels, best thing I did was to use a magnetic screwdriver on the screws as it is easy to misplace the screws, keep any of these items safe, once the big section is in place shut the door and see if you can see any sections letting in daylight and adjust accordingly and then do the upright section last, if it was like mine you will need to use your Stanley knife on this part
best of luck
Dapplepony8
Minor Friendly

Post by Dapplepony8 »

Noel

Thankyou for your reply

I actually managed to complete the drivers side after a fair amount of frustration including almost tearing the rubber
But I'm pleased with the end result. I admit that some of the time was wasted before realizing I was trying to put the near side rubber in. Doh
hopthefrog

Post by hopthefrog »

I have just put new seals in the quarter light but when it rains the grove in the bottom seal under the quarter light fills up then the water runs under the glass and runs down the inside of the door. Should the water drain through the hole in the lower seal and through the middle of the door rather than down the inside of the door like mine dose?