Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MorrismattVan
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller wood

Post by MorrismattVan »

Hi, I have read online that people are recommending using yacht vanish for the timbers. ( brush on)

I'm replacing mine with new stuff- and so whilst all the timber is off the traveller, I'm thinking about how to treat it to make it last, and to enhance the natural beauty of the ash

This Is what I'm thinking:
- yacht varnish- protect timber well but won't necessarily put any colour into the timber
- linseed oil- might bring the grain out better, but not sure if an oil will protect the wood as well as a varnish?
- Danish oil- thinking this may also put more of a colour into the wood
- 2k high gloss lacquer- if I was to spray the timbers with a lacquer then I think this may be the best protection that I can give the timber?

Or what if I was to use an oil to realy bring the grain out, then seal the ash up with the gloss lacquer ? (sprayed on)

If anyone has tried any ideas like these then can you let me know what products work well, and what's the best options to go for??
Thanks for help and advice (in advance!) matt
vergal
Minor Friendly

Re: Traveller wood

Post by vergal »

I treated mine with wood preserver including the drainage holes. I then used Osmo oil. It has built-in UV protection and allows the wood to breathe. Water does 'bead' on it too :D
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Definitely Osmo oil. Avoid varnish, lacquer and the like! :D
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Copious amounts of Cuprinol 5 star before the wood is fitted and left to dry thoroughly between coats and before application of Osmo UV Protection Oil 420 (clear). I darkens the wood very slightly and leave a satin finish, which I like :) and really easy to apply with a brush or soft cloth
MorrismattVan
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrismattVan »

That sounds like a plan! Thanks everyone
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Woodies are the experts and are very helpful. I had Ray Newell's book for Christmas and the section on wood by Steve Foreman was really useful. I followed the advice and was very pleased with the Sikkens products, giving an annual coat for protection without unnecessary darkening the wood.

Bertie.