Glove box catch

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jonno
MMOC Member: No

Glove box catch

Post by jonno »

Hi I am getting to the last little bits to sort out on my 68 woody . If I drive over a bump the glove box door opens (not a big deal but annoying) I have tried every position the adjustment allows but the magnet just doesn't seem to be strong enough to hold . Are these magnets available . Thanks Jonno
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Re: Glove box catch

Post by John Naylor »

Can't win! My magnet is so strong my wife can't pull it open. I need new rubber spacers perhaps? Still, as the gearbox has just collapsed I suppose it can wait.....good spare gearbox anybody?

Bertie.
firehor5e
Minor Fan

Post by firehor5e »

Tempted to fit a lock on mine as its driving me mad dropping open all the time!
1968 2 door 1275
Alan Swann

Post by Alan Swann »

I cured mine from popping open by lightly sanding both the magnet and catch plate which removed the build up of crud from previous years.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

In my saloon I bought some simple b&q kitchen cupboard magnets and screwed one screw in tight had no problem for 2 years with it so far

My traveller on the other hand, the previous owner had fitted this to the glove box. It's really fidley to open due to the original handle being there but it works very well. You have to push down the key hole button and lift away with your finger underneath[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

I plan to keep it there but remove the original handle and fit a morris badge on in its place :)

Hope these give you some ideas
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Another example of cost cutting. The Series MM had a proper push button locking catch. If the glove box lid hit the passenger's knee it was their own fault for being nosey and pushing the release catch!
[sig]3580[/sig]