Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dryad
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Rollover jig question

Post by Dryad »

I have a rollover jig (two A-frames and bars which fix on to the bumper rods) built specifically for Minors. I need to do some welding underneath and have removed the engine, seats and bonnet, but left the gearbox, propshaft and rear axle on. Is it possible to roll over a Minor saloon with these items still on? The car is structurally sound, but I'm thinking that there might be too much weight below the centre of gravity to roll it. Anyone with experience of doing this?

IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rollover jig question

Post by IslipMinor »

I would not leave just the gearbox in, as it is only secured at the rear. I would definitely remove both gearbox and propshaft.

The rear axle can be left in, BUT if you do make sure that you drain it completely of oil, otherwise when it is vertical, the oil will very likely leak through the seal and ruin the brake shoes! Probably easier to remove it?

My rollover jig mounts on the front and rear wheel fixings, so it needs to have the rear axle left in, which I did, and found out the oil leaking afterwards. At the time it was not very much of a problem, as the whole car was being restored, and the mechanical parts followed on after the bodywork, but if that is not the case, it's a real pain.
Richard

Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

Good point! I'll remove the gearbox and propshaft and drain the oil from the axle then. Thanks.

alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I think I would seal in the master cylinder brake fluid - to stop it spoiling your roof!

Alan
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

Another good suggestion - thanks Alan!

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

The centre of gravity on my home made scaffold pole & builders trestle rotisserie wasn't bad - but even with all the heavy components removed it could give you quite a wallop if you let it go at the wrong moment. I used a chain hoist slung from a roof beam to control its movement.

Mark
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

Thanks Mark, this is what I'm worried about really. My thinking was that if I removed too much from the lower half of the car, would it suddenly flip over as I turned it. I suppose I should just be prepared.

culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

Can you post a picture of your jig i'm intrigued (and need one myself!)
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

It's under some junk at the moment :roll: but it looks like this one, only without the facililty to adjust the centre of gravity. It was custom-built by someone who had restored several Minors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spgy73QA3ss

omegaman100
Minor Friendly

Post by omegaman100 »

I used to have a the smart or similar jig, I used to leave cars complete ( less fluids) and turn them no problem never had a problem with weight.
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

I have removed the engine and I will be taking all four doors off (a considerable weight!) and the gearbox but will leave the rear axle on, I think.