Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Any tips gratefully recieved

Post by culp »

Hello, this is a view of the rear LHS inner wing on my 1970 Traveller where the inner sill meets the floor pan. Its the bit with a small dimple in it over the rear axle. There are two plates you can just make out in the photo which were gas welded in to a good standard
IMG_20180814_175724.jpg
IMG_20180814_175724.jpg (523.45 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
To a lesser standard there's a plate underneath and the hole was buried under a pile of underseal. I'd like to do a proper job
Can anyone give me any tips?
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Any tips gratefully recieved

Post by mogbob »

I'd " clean up " the area back to bare metal first , wire brush on a small angle grinder , power file , paint stripper ,
white spirit …. whatever you have to hand. With everything perfectly clean you can really see where the rot , rust and " weak " metal is. A correct assessment can the be made as to whether you can get away with a small patch repair or alternatively if a full replacement panel would be the correct ( Money / time puzzle ) way to go.

Start stocking up on Cereal box cardboard or similar to make your templates , before cutting the sheet of metal and on complicated repair areas cut oversize so you have some " wriggle room ". Take measurements carefully
and mark / record datum points. Resist temptation to cut large areas out in one go. Welding on rusty weak metal
is rarely successful. Your aim is to keep strength in the structure for as long as you can ( by bracing , using tack welds if necessary ) . You always want good clean metal to weld to , so think about the sequence "joins " long and hard before cutting out the grot.
Bob
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by taupe »

Above is good advice..

Is that the point above the centreline of the rear axle? in which case once you have repaired the floor panel you will need to replace the bump stop plate which goes underneath:

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/body-i ... de-p828437

Taupe
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by culp »

Much obliged for the advice :D