Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Mysterious Scratches

Post by Monty-4 »

Hi,

I just noticed this horror when washing the car - this is a new front wing fit earlier this year. Can't think what could have caused it!
20181214_141331.jpg.287c034746efc6c5d3a66ea9c46ee8e3.jpg
20181214_141331.jpg.287c034746efc6c5d3a66ea9c46ee8e3.jpg (75.25 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Mysterious Scratches

Post by mogbob »

It looks like something has either brushed against or fallen on the top edge of the wing. It doesn't appear to be "impact damage ".. like another vehicle for instance. Nor does it seem malicious damage.
If the car is garaged ,then has something fallen off a shelf , a lump of timber or big box of Christmas decorations maybe ? Have you rested something heavy against the wing when your hands were full , trying to open the door
with your third spare hand ? A poor imitation of how not to juggle.... as the load started to slip down the car.

It might have been on a night outing with the car which meant you weren't aware of damage at the time ?

Hope these ideas are a memory jogger for you. It's a good mystery Christmas puzzle anyway.

Hope " a good polish will get rid of that , Gov ! " works for you.
Happy Christmas Bob
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Maybe a rough cloth or cover has been dragged across the wing from the other side?

StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

I think the clue to the mystery is lying beside your car. I have scratched cars by mistake with hose pipes that when wet pick up grit. Paint can be quite soft and easily damaged.
Hope it can be polished out.
Regards John
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I'm kind of with John, although I think the damage might be a little wider spread across the wing if it were the hose. It's definitely a 'scuff' mark where something has rubbed the paintwork.
My Kuga has plenty of such marks on the rear bumper from moving items in/out of the tailgate.
Basil the 1955 series II

shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

That's a shame, looks like it was a nice paint job otherwise. Was it cellulose or 2 pack ? Earlier this year I painted the front of my car using 2 pack and about a month later I drove in from work and the dog (pit bull mix) ran out to greet me and scratched the wing :-? Yours do not look like animal scratches
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I will second the hose pipe theory, I suffered the same damage to one of my previous cars so now I'm careful not to allow the hose anywhere near the car.
As the hose is fairly light I would think the scuffs would Polish out.
Good luck.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Has the car been used for a wedding? I got scratches on mine whilst tying cheap ribbons onto the car. They polished out fairly easily.
1956 4-door called Max
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

It was indeed used for a wedding but I suspect my own guilt after the detective work above. At least I have nobody to be cross at other than myself, I'm usually more careful with the hosepipe.

We had more of a wet floppy ribbon problem than a scratchy ribbon problem!
DSCF7788.jpg
DSCF7788.jpg (376 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Keith 66
Minor Friendly

Post by Keith 66 »

Could be a hosepipe but equaly likely has someone been working on it leaning over the side? or leaning on the wing for photos? Rivets on jeans or coats, belt buckles? All can do that.