Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller Inner Rear Wings

Post by culp »

There's an extra flange fitted to the rear inner wing on a Traveller.
Morris Minor Traveller Rear Inner Wing Flange
Morris Minor Traveller Rear Inner Wing Flange
rear-arch-repair-flange-l-h-traveller-u-k-made-p828546-1662_thumb.jpg (8.72 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
Does the flange go on the inside (to the car) of the inner wing or on the outside?
Morris Minor Rear Inner Wing
rear-inner-wing-full-l-h-uk-made-p828421-2669_thumb.jpg (11.39 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
It seems to me to fit best on the outside of the car to the inner wing but does leave a big overlap. Do I just lap weld it as best I can inside and out and then seal it up with black goo? It seems like a lot of overlapping metal with potential for water trapping and rust? What was it like when the car was new?

I have the inner arch welded in but I'm now looking at the fit of the flange and boot floor and how that relates to the woodwork.

I'm sorry if this seems a stupid question but I can't find it in any of my books and my car has been so hacked about it's not giving me any clues.
Attachments
rear-inner-wing-full-l-h-uk-made-p828421-2669_zoom.jpg (52.4 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Re: Traveller Inner Rear Wings

Post by Mark Wilson »

You have to dress the flange on the inner wing flat, instead of at a right angle, and then spot or plug weld the new flange to the outer edge. If you are replacing or refixing the timber it's a very, very good idea to wait until you have trial fitted the side before you complete the flange welding - better to coax metal into place than expensive timber! Use seam sealer and whatever paint system you are using before fitting the wood. There will probably be quite a large gap between the new flange and the wood which you will need to seal as best as you can with dum dum type sealant.

Mark
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

Thanks Mark, but inside or out?
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Hi culp

Out! :D :D

See the pic of this factory original (except for the lower area repair) rear arch.
Attachments
IMG_6542.JPG
IMG_6542.JPG (463.88 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Sorry, hadn't quite understood the question! Don's right, the outer flange is outside, or on top, of the inner arch. Here's some photos showing mine in progress.

Incidentally, when I mentioned filling the gap between the wood and the flange, I meant the gap between the flange and the bottom of the wood arch. The vertical flange must be positioned to be tight to the inner face of the wood arch.
Attachments
DSCF8694.JPG
DSCF8694.JPG (205.66 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
DSCF8675.JPG
DSCF8675.JPG (138.7 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
DSCF8631.JPG
DSCF8631.JPG (73.8 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

Su...flippin..perb! Thanks both, that clears up my question. :D Doesn't make it any easier to fit mind you
:o