Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Propshaft
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Rear wings

Post by Propshaft »

Hi I have a 1959 v early series 3 two door saloon what is the difference between early and later rear wings
Thanks
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rear wings

Post by myoldjalopy »

The difference is in the holes for the light fittings. The early 1000's just had tail lamps, because they used trafficators. Later cars (after around 1963, I think) had a much bigger tail lamp/indicator fitting. Over the years, a number of these earlier cars have had wings replaced with the later ones and the later light fittings.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

They are a slightly different shape. Easiest to look at them side by side as shown here: http://www.morrisminorspares.com/search/rear-wing
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

simmitc wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:25 am They are a slightly different shape. Easiest to look at them side by side as shown here: http://www.morrisminorspares.com/search/rear-wing
You're confusing "early wings" with "early Minor 1000 wings" which is what this post is about :wink:

Pre Minor 1000 (pre1956) the rear wings are indeed different pressings. Early Minor 1000 and late Minor 1000 only differ in the position of the rear light holes as "myoldjalopy" has explained. Actually, either the early OR late type lights can be fitted into the holes provided in the new replacement wings but strictly speaking, if you fit the early smaller tail lights to these replacement wings the lights will end up slightly higher up the wing than was originally the case, so if you want the completely correct original look, you have to mark out and re=drill the mounting holes - IF you can be bothered!
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

nope3.png
nope3.png (761.08 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Early (1940s to 1950-something) have much bigger holes in the side, showing more tyre.

Edit. Several posts between me reading the first post and the time I posted this :D
Cardiff, UK
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Hi All. Thanks for your prompt replies I now know which way to go