Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller front seats

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Hi people. I'm back living in the uk after 5 years in Spain. I am on the hunt for a Traveller. My question is Are the front seats on a traveller the same as a 2 door. There is a traveller on ebay with velour front seats which I would like to change. Any help on seat info (or a traveller for sale?) would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Traveller front seats

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, they will be the same. Of course, the actual style/materials used for seats changed over the years but in any given year, the seats would be identical in a traveller and a two-door.
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Wow thanks myoldjalopy. what a quick reply. That' the confirmation I needed.
I'll keep you posted when I find my car.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

As already said, saloon seats are basically the same. However if you're looking at the Bermuda Blue traveller on ebay, you will not find saloon seats in that midnight blue colour because that colour was used exclusively on very late Travellers. Therefore quite unusual and hard to get. Worth checking whether Newton Commercial offer that colour for new seat covers perhaps? Good secondhand seats will be hard to obtain in that colour :wink:
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Interesting, ManyMinors! And checking their website, Newton Commercial do not appear to offer that colour as standard. Nevertheless, they do say:
"We do, however, have a number of other colours which are available to order – please check out our colour swatches section at the bottom of the page to see the wide range of other colours available or get in touch with our sales team who will be happy to send samples. If you would like to order a colour that is not listed please contact our sales team who can advise the best way to proceed."
It may, of course, be more expensive to order a special colour (and they're not cheap to begin with!), but a phone call to the company should clarify that.
See: https://newtoncomm.co.uk/collections/mo ... upholstery
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

i am happy to be corrected, but i am not aware of any minors fitted with velour seats as standard, to the best of my knowledge standard seats are leather or vinyl trying to look like leather..

the seats could have been recovered at some point or more likely the seats have been replaced with seats from a more modern car. so you would need to get a set of second hand seats if you want to return to standard, depending on the seats and how the person has modified the seats to get them to fit you might have some additional work to the floor (if only my glass was half full)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

There is a difference between 2-door saloon and Traveller front passenger seats, at l;eats on many Travellers: The back folds flat forwards ontop the base and then the whole thing will tip forwards into the foot well. The saloon did not have the folding seat.

As above, all standard models had leather or vinyl seats, not velor. As long as you're not aiming for concours then fit whatever seats and coverings your prefer.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

simmitc wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:59 pm There is a difference between 2-door saloon and Traveller front passenger seats, at l;eats on many Travellers: The back folds flat forwards ontop the base and then the whole thing will tip forwards into the foot well. The saloon did not have the folding seat.
That is not really correct. 2 door saloons and Travellers always shared the same seats during each production period. The "folding" seats which you describe were indeed fitted to Travellers - until October 1964. However, these folding seats were also fitted to the 2 door saloons during that same period. The 4 door saloon did not have the folding seats at that time because there was no need of access to the rear by that means. A Traveller built after October 1964 will not have had the folding seat originally but neither will a saloon.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I concur with ManyMinors. The 1967 Traveller I had once only had fixed seats. Folding seats were usual on the earlier cars - certainly the 1956 1000 I had, and both the SII's I had, were all equipped with front seats of the folding type.
Without seeing this traveller it is hard to know whether the velour is just a covering for the original (presumably ripped) seats or a complete replacement from a more modern car.