Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

What order to do things in?

Post by culp »

Hello,

I'm making progress with the Traveller. I have taken off the right-hand inner wheel arch and cleaned up most of the repairs and rust and general gack. The chassis member down the right-hand side is pretty good But the front and rear spring hangers have to go there's also rust in the boot floor between the two.
RHS rear chassis member and boot floor
RHS rear chassis member and boot floor
IMG_20190207_115352.jpg (519.18 KiB) Viewed 832 times
My question is do I tack weld in the inner wheel arch, then turn my attention to the spring hangers, or do I do the spring hangers then do the wheel arch.

My guess is that I should do the spring hangers first as the chassis member is ok but never having done it this way round before I thought I'd ask the experts first. Would a but of angle iron welded from the door B post to the chassis member be a good idea?

Thanks

Alan
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: What order to do things in?

Post by mogbob »

Alan
My preference would be floor repair then temporary bracing B posts to the chassis member … and across between the two B posts.
( I've always been a belt and braces man. If you let it " flap " it's never gonna be right and you will spend a lot of extra / wasted time trying to sort ). Fix the spring hanger repairs sections ( take loads of measurements and mark datum points and construct a distance piece from a wooden batten , holes drilled at the appropriate points either end.)
There is a moral story in a post some time ago ( just after I'd sorted my mates spring hangers ) of a guy who had left it to a Garage to fix. Made a lovely job of the welding but because they were in the wrong place , he couldn't
put his propshaft back.The gap was too short. My mate called me lots of things at the time but he had to admit
" I now know why you took so many measurements , checking and double checking. The distance batten worked a treat as well ".

Leave the inner wings till later. Good luck with it.
Bob
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: What order to do things in?

Post by culp »

Thanks for the advice MogBob I'll do exactly that.