Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Loose quarterlight lever

Post by Owlsman »

Ok, not exactly a life-threatening issue but it's annoying me nonetheless.........

The offside quaterlight lever is not loose as such but when I open the quarterlight wndow the lever flops to a 'quarter to six' position rather than staying at 'nine O'clock'. Obviously this means that when I want to close the quarterlight I have to turn the lever to do so.

Is there any way of tightening up the lever? The near-side one is fine but presumably that has not has as much use as the driver's side.

Thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Loose quarterlight lever

Post by King Kenny »

I think I had the same problem many years ago. They cannot be adjusted as far as I know so I wound a few turns of cotton thread around the spigot. This added enough resistance to stop it flopping.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

This happened to me a few years ago because the pin was slowly working loose and eventually the catch fell off. Fortunately it fell inside the car and I was able to retrieve the parts - there was a washer as well as the catch and the pin. The pin the catch turns on goes through a hole in the frame of the quarter-light and is peined over at the end. Unfortunately the only way to get to it is to take the glass out.

You need to establish if the pin is tight in its hole or not. If it is then go with King Kenny's suggestion.
Attachments
DSC00011 - Copy.JPG
DSC00011 - Copy.JPG (147.15 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Hi

I would get a second hand one from ebay and fit it temp. whilst you attempt a repair to your old one.

I think the glass will need to come out on your old one to enable the rivet to be hammered tighter as others have advised...If you manage to repair it then great you can refit your old one and put the replacement back on ebay...

A good one is likely to be £40 PLUS....

Taupe
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Thanks for your advice chaps.

I've actually gone down the 'cheap 'n cheerful' route and wrapped a thread tightly around the spigot. I tried cotton at first but that kept breaking so I used a few threads of some nylon garden twine...….and it has worked a treat! It'll probably work loose again eventually but I can just use some thicker twine next time. :D

Thanks again for the tips.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

:D :D :D
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.