Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Gulp....what do I do?

Post by Murrayminor »

I see a lot of people opt for the tube running through the centre of the car as a means of attaching the roll over jig.
Is this the preferred method?
Most of the jigs I have looked at bolt onto the bumper mounts.
I suppose they have to be in perfect order before taking the weight of the shell, but how does the centre pole attach?
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Yes, using the bumper mounts means that they have to be in good condition to support the weight of the shell. Just as important--the bumper mounted type might limit access for repairs to areas surrounding the bumper mounts.

The 'skewer' through the hole behind the battery tray can pass through a thick plywood panel bolted to the surrounds of the hole. Alternatively a mount can be fabricated from pieces of angle steel attached to the damper mounts (this is what I have done). At the back, another plywood panel can be bolted to the surfaces behind the rear seat and a hole to accommodate the skewer made. Again, alternatively, an angle steel frame can be fabricated and attached to the mounting points for the rear bumper mounts (again, this is what I have done).

I have found that the skewer needs to be as low as possible through the battery box hole and parallel with the floor (because most of the weight of the shell is around floor-level).

I can supply photos of my setup if you feel it might help.

Don
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Here's a few images of my rough and ready version - two builders trestles, a scaffold tube, two scaffold clips, some scrap timber and four lengths of 10mm threaded stud (poss 8mm, not sure). It pivoted fairly easily, just below a standard size garage door mechanism, and I secured it in various positions with chains and straps while working. Mine's a traveller, so needed the cross brace at the back, and although the front could be ply, as Don suggests, I used two pieces of 3 x 2 or similar bolted through the battery tray support. I bolted the trestles to castors on timber bearers, which allowed me to move the rig from side to side in the single garage.

This started, like yours, as bits of rust to be dealt with - then grew into a total restoration which I hope to write up on here soon. I did consider a bumper mount jig, but if I'd gone down that route, or the Grumpy hub mounted type, I'd have hit real problems as I had to remove the bits they'd have been bolted to! A rotisserie allows for most changes of scenario as your problems, or plans, take shape...

Mark
Attachments
DSCF8694.JPG
DSCF8694.JPG (791.71 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
DSCF8685.JPG
DSCF8685.JPG (174.68 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
DSCF8675.JPG
DSCF8675.JPG (772.23 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
DSCF8594.JPG
DSCF8594.JPG (524.38 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Like Mark, I used modified scaffolding clamps for the skewer mounting points.

Don
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Mark Wilson wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:01 pm Here's a few images of my rough and ready version - two builders trestles, a scaffold tube, two scaffold clips, some scrap timber and four lengths of 10mm threaded stud (poss 8mm, not sure). It pivoted fairly easily, just below a standard size garage door mechanism, and I secured it in various positions with chains and straps while working. Mine's a traveller, so needed the cross brace at the back, and although the front could be ply, as Don suggests, I used two pieces of 3 x 2 or similar bolted through the battery tray support. I bolted the trestles to castors on timber bearers, which allowed me to move the rig from side to side in the single garage.

This started, like yours, as bits of rust to be dealt with - then grew into a total restoration which I hope to write up on here soon. I did consider a bumper mount jig, but if I'd gone down that route, or the Grumpy hub mounted type, I'd have hit real problems as I had to remove the bits they'd have been bolted to! A rotisserie allows for most changes of scenario as your problems, or plans, take shape...

Mark
Mark
I see your rear timber frame is bolted to the body, would that be the same on the 2 door saloon?

Dermot.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor