Best rust treatment...Jenolite or Kurust??

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Handy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Best rust treatment...Jenolite or Kurust??

Post by Handy »

I have tried both in the past and both seem to be reasonably effective.
Kurust always turns blue/black on rust and it provide a good surface for zinc primer.

I would be greatful to hear of other people's preferences and recommendations please??

Regards,
Ian
fweddy
Minor Fan

RE: Best rust treatment...Jenolite or Kurust??

Post by fweddy »

How did you (and others) get on with Jenolite?

The instructions on my bottle said to thin with water, let soak, then wash off. (Or something to that effect) I found when treating bare metal it did a great job and changed the rust to black, But when you left the panel to dry the water made it rust again!

I tried brushing the product straight on, letting sit and then sanding it off. That way there is no water on the bare metal, which of course makes it rust.
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]
Handy
Minor Friendly

Post by Handy »

I leave Jenolite on and then wipe it off.
I remember that the first bottle I bought,in 1985, had a guarantee against further rust but Jenolite's makers soon dropped this.
It is excellent for etching steel before you prime it with zinc primer though.

Ian
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Chief »

I found jenolite would take light surface rust down to bare metal but anything else it would convert to a black compound compared to kurust which just converts it to a blue compound.
Though I have a tub of the stuff I have yet tried the wipe on, 15mins wait, wash off Hammerite rust remover gel, but another forum user who tried the Hammerite rust remover dip (24 hour soak of the metal) said it worked great.