Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MichaelBeck
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Rust - Top of Battery Tray

Post by MichaelBeck »

Hi All

Mine has a really nice repair done in this area but I have seen the same damage on many Minors & i'm interested in knowing the cause.

Understand rust in the tray bottom from leaky batteries etc but what causes this bit at the top in this specific spot?

Thanks
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (81.61 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Rust - Top of Battery Tray

Post by ManyMinors »

It is caused by battery acid on poorly maintained cars and particularly a growth on the positive battery terminal which is close to that area. It is important to keep battery terminals clean. It is generally recommended to lightly coat them in vaseline.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

I have always found that pouring boiling water over battery corrosion gets rid of it nicely - but take care with the boiling water.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I'm not sure I'd recommend that course of action while the battery is fitted in a Minor because there are rivet holes directly beneath the battery through which the water (and acid) can seep and spoil the parcel shelf below - witness all the damp/rotted out parcel shelfs.
I do agree that boiling water will get rid of it although the acidic growth is nasty stuff and you don't want to be inhaling the fumes given off :oops: .
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

I have used boiling water successfully and the simple answer is to remove the battery from the car first and do it outside. When its all clean and dry, clean up the battery clamps and vasoline over the battery poles as suggested by 'ManyMinors'...........