Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
surfbum
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

rear screen rubbers again.

Post by surfbum »

Hi .

Can anyone tell me the differance between a 57 and a 1098 rear screen rubberp lease. I ordered a rubber from a reputable supplyer ,and today I tryed for an hour or more to put my back window in, to no avail the rubber is too fat.The man on the site did stipulate it was for 1098 models ,but i assumed he meant all models after 56. and not small window ones. I may be doing it wrong. I wrapped the rubber round the glass and then got my long suffering wife to offer it up from the inside but we could not get it anywhere near.its too large . The rubber fits the glass perfectly and it fits the opening snuggly What am i doing wrong.

Cheers Keith.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: rear screen rubbers again.

Post by philthehill »

Try fitting the window from the outside.

Wrap a piece of strong cord around the groove of the seal with a large overlap - put the window/seal to the aperture with the cord tails inside the car - pull the cord tails so that the seal comes inside the car - carry on all the way round the glass/seal until all of the inner flap of the seal is inside the car.

Good luck.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

It may also help to soften the rubber in hot water a while first. Also some vasoline smeared round the window aperture may help. Washing line cord is recommended as it is less likely (being smooth) to tear the rubber. Although the manuals state fitting the rear screen from the inside, Phil's suggestion may work if you can't fit it the usual way.....oh, and there is no difference between 948 and 1098 models as far as the rear window and its rubber is concerned.
surfbum
Minor Friendly

Post by surfbum »

Thanks for replying Phil ,Will give it a go.
surfbum
Minor Friendly

Post by surfbum »

Sorry Myoldjalopy,I was typing when you replyed. Anything is worth a try, Im a bit stuck now as the car is kept outside and its sods law, it will rain like hell for the next few days. I was just on Bull motives site and they sell two different rear seals one for 57 onwards and the other for later models ,so i dont know what to think. I assumed it was all the same for rears . I know that front ones vary in that some have a metal insert and others have plastic. they are not compatable.

Cheers Keith.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Are you sure? I just looked at Bull Motif site and I can only see the 57-onward approx rear screen rubber for the post-splitty models (actually it is late 56 onward around October, I think). There are certainly two front screen rubbers, one for the chromed metal surround and one for the (later) plastic surround.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have also been on the Bull Motif spares web site and can see only one rear windscreen rubber Pt No: EXT104 for cars 57 onwards.

The split screen rear window rubber is Pt No: EXT102.

See the link below to the MOSS parts list and check against the Commission Number (Chassis Number).

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... aloon.html

surfbum
Minor Friendly

Post by surfbum »

Yes Phil . I think that the first one is for a split screen ? .So why did bull motif sell me a rubber for a 1098 and tell me it wouldnt fit my 57 .I e-mailed them and they were adamant it was wrong. Soo Im no nearer.

Cheers Keith.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

surfbum wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:11 pm So why did bull motif sell me a rubber for a 1098 and tell me it wouldnt fit my 57
I really have no idea. But whoever it was you spoke to, they were all mixed up. I'd forget about that and re-try fitting it. You say " The rubber fits the glass perfectly and it fits the opening snuggly" so it has to be the right rubber, its just a matter of getting to fit - many have also struggled with this particular job. And....make sure the rubber is on the glass the right way round too!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Check the commission number as per the MOSS parts list for the change over point from small to large rear window.
There are only two rear windscreen rubbers listed on both the Bull Motif and MOSS sites so it cannot be that hard to determine what seal is required.

alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

Slightly different as mine is the small window but I replaced the rubber many years ago and it was an absolute pig, ended up using a jack/wood from the floor boxing to jack it in!
Replaced it again a few years ago after I had painted the car and couldn't believe how well it went in, I was dreading it based on my previous experience!
I did it on my own but can't remember if it was fitted from the outside or inside? but it was all over in less than 20 mins.

Alan
surfbum
Minor Friendly

Post by surfbum »

Anyone Know the correct way to fit this bl##dy rubber . According to the Bull motif man it fits from outside pulling the cord into the car,but when I try that the rubber comes away from the glass. sod sod sod.

Rant over Cheers Keith.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have always fitted the windscreens from the outside.

Fitting the windscreen is a two person task and the screen should be held hard against the aperture whilst the cord is pulled from the inside.

It helps if the rubber is lubricated with the same lubricant used in fitting tyres.

If still not able to fit I would suggest that you get a professional screen fitting company to fit the screen.

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

I changed my screens for heated , the rear was so much of a pig I decided to re-use the old rubber , pushed out from the inside , only took an hour or so , one man job..

EXT 104 ( rear rubber trim ) still hanging up in the shed..

John :wink:
surfbum
Minor Friendly

Post by surfbum »

Sadly Sleeper the old rubber was jiggered, Me and the long suffering have just spent another hour on the sod ,to no avail. Its a matter of honour now.

Cheers Keith.
surfbum
Minor Friendly

Post by surfbum »

Sod, I broke the rear glass useing a screwdriver to poke the rubber back in anyone in yorkshire got another screen.

Cheers Keith.
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

One in Manchester M34..

John :wink:
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Edit
Double post...No idea why?
John