Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Welder wanted - Derby area

Post by CaliTrav »

Hi Guys,

After trying to ignore some noticably positive camber on both wheels of my '71 Traveller, some spectacular wear on the outside of both front tyres has forced me to finally sort it. After measuring they were about 2.8 degrees out on either side with the problem seeming to stem from the eyebolt assembly pulling the wheel in at the bottoms.

Unfortunately the eyebolt on one side was well and truly seized in the tube that goes through the chassis leg (and has obviously had a good clout of a kerb at some point!), requiring as a last resort the section to be cut out. This has been done, and a new leg has been purchased and the replacement length cut to size. All it needs now is welding into position and I can crack on with reassembling the suspension etc.

To correct the camber we've worked out that a 6mm washer should give us 2 degrees extra, bringing it back to 0.8. Manual seems to say that 1 degree is acceptable with rubber top links, so it's about right. Of course, with a new chassis leg piece, maybe this will push it too far the other way - will have to wait and see once it's assembled...! All part of the fun.

So - is there anyone in the Derby area who is a mobile welder or who can recommend a mobile welder to help with this? It's a little bit delicate as the hole in the leg has to stay pretty close to where it is now (ie it can't move forward or back much) - the current fit is pretty good but I realise a welder might want to take more off. So someone who knows a bit about Moggy suspension would be ideal.

Thanks!
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Welder wanted - Derby area

Post by CaliTrav »

Just in case anyone else in the area needed a contact, I've eventually found one -

C Baker Welding Services - c.baker.weldingservices@outlook.com / 07939 181905