Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
niftyrodman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Complete bare metal respray 54 split screen

Post by niftyrodman »

Despite popular opinion I intend, or have fitted the metal etched wings loosely in place, spaced out 10 mill, ready to paint. The too hard basket is the doors. Do I really have to pull them all apart, as it looks like an awful job, but I have to bare metal them. I have a combination of metal etched and red brown on the body. I plan to spray in acrylic. What primer should I use, and how many coats, thats my second question. I would think only one. The boot or trunk lid and the bonnet, and grille can be sprayed on trestles.Thanks for your advice.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Complete bare metal respray 54 split screen

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I would, you will get a better end result with no hidden bits that got missed and need to be gone over again later, plus you will avoid accidental overspray on the window frames.
Also, as with the screen surrounds, you may find that you want / need to replace the rubber seals anyway. Removing everything will also reveal any problem areas that need repairing.
I have stripped door window frames out before and isn't so bad as it first appears, a bit fiddly at times but worth it for a decent end result.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Thanks Mike. I finally bit the bullet and stripped a door. 3 to go You are right. May I ask. When I reassemble, and fit the main glass, do the side wipers need to be fitted after the glass? The glass was pretty tight through the top. and I thought maybe the go was to insert the inner and outer wiper( Im not sure of the correct title) after fitting the glass in the door. Perhaps in the factory they fitted and glued the bottom regulation after fitting the glass. That's the only thing Im not sure about. Thanks for your reply
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
If you mean the weather strips that are supposed to keep rain water from getting in through the slot in the door for the window glass / wipe off the rainwater when you wind the window down, then I'd fit them first. They don't really get in the way / help to guide the glass / stop it rubbing against your freshly painted door at this point.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I'm not sure you could re-fit the glass if you'd fitted the weatherstrips first? Surely the metal channels at the bottom of the glass would prevent this?
niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Hi
When I pulled the glass out, it had the U piece glued on the bottom of the window, to fasten to the regulator( which I wont disturb) and I had a job to get the glass out of the door. Now either the new top glass seals are more flexible OR the two seal strips need to be fitted after the glass is in the door,as they appear to tuck down on studs. I was curious, as all the late model cars I have removed window glass from, there was never any problem to get the bulky bottom bit through.
niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Sorry Many Minors I didnt see your post. I agree with you, as new sealing strips surely would be wider than the old ones, any way either way when the doors come back I will work it out.