Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
markattard
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Split screen windscreen fitting

Post by markattard »

Could someone please advise what would the dummy centre piece be like when fitting the split screen windscreen? Is it a piece of wood held by bolts and rubber washers? Any help greatly appreciated
markattard
Minor Addict

Re: Split screen windscreen fitting

Post by markattard »

Screenshot_20191216-203424_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191216-203424_Chrome.jpg (767.51 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
Found this so it looks like 3 persons are absolutely necessary for this job?
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Did it solo a couple of years ago. Original spec glass and seal. I didn't use a dummy, just levered the glass apart with a pine wood wedge after the rubber was all in.
Cardiff, UK
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

the reason for a dummy centre is that the screen with rubber and centre need to be fitted from inside,if doing it the manual way but the outer centre is too long to fit through the frame ,so either make up a dummy with wood ,with the bottom and top pointed bits cut off short,or if fitting a new outer centre just cut off the top and bottom of the old one. Do a search on The definitive splitscreen fitting guide and find my entry. Simply... put the rubber onto the frame fit the glasses without centre's, put 4 straps through gap in glasses two each side. round frame each side and PROGRESSIVELY tighten to spread glasses far enough to fit the centres. Done three like this single handed. Sometimes you need to leave overnight and retighten after the glasses have spread a bit washing up liquid helps.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Some useful in formation here, I'm taking note for when I have to do mine.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

Thanks for the tips this is were i got to so far now i need a miracle to prise the rubber lips...
Attachments
20191218_145640.jpg
20191218_145640.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 5579 times
20191218_145648.jpg
20191218_145648.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 5579 times
markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

kennatt wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:48 am Simply... put the rubber onto the frame fit the glasses without centre's, put 4 straps through gap in glasses two each side. round frame each side and PROGRESSIVELY tighten to spread glasses far enough to fit the centres. Done three like this single handed. Sometimes you need to leave overnight and retighten after the glasses have spread a bit washing up liquid helps.
tried to put the rubber on the frame but was not able to do it any tips on how to do that please?
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

put rubber onto frame with out glasses,then fit one glass put strap round glass and sideframe of car The best straps are the type that are used for roof rack tie down with a self locking buckle ,but any that you can tighten ,even long belts ,the way you have it is going to tilt the glass and pull the rubber back in to the car off the frame.you must get the direction of the pull directly in line with the glass and the side frame .once you have one glass in and spread far enough to get the otherside into the rubber,just need a few mill,then fit the other with two more straps, again round the glass and frame,then progressively spread each glass a bit at a time until there is enough gap to fit the rubber sealer strip and from memory the inner central centre.One time I left mine under tension overnight and found that when I removed the straps they stayed separate long enough to have time to fit the centre before they stared to slide back together.But you can just fit the centre inner(Its a long time since I did this and can't remember if the rubber sealer is on the outer or inner centre but fit the one that has the rubber strip first) then carefully slide the straps out,or if you are not bother about the strap just cut them close to the glass with a blade. The way you have it assembled is the way the workshop manual shows then you need two or three assistants one in side car pushing the glasses up against the frame,one outside holding the glass onto the rubber and another with a string inside the slot in the rubber and from the outside, pulling the rubber over the lip of the frame the inherent danger with this it that as the string pulls the rubber over the lip there is a strong chance that if it sticks the string or sharp edge of the frame can cut the rubber especially at the corners ,you will never do it like you have it, the direction of the pull will prevent you getting the rubber hard up to the frame.Your lucky to have a convertible,you therefore will never have to replace the headlining on a saloon ,probably the second worst job on a splitty Good luck
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

kennatt wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:48 am Sometimes you need to leave overnight and retighten after the glasses have spread a bit washing up liquid helps.
I recommend NEVER use wash up liquid for lubrication as IT IS FULL OF SALT.........try using waxoyle or similar...

Taupe
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

I note that ESM sells glass that they slightly modified in shape with the objective of making it easier to fit. Presumably they have checked that it still seals well.

FYI

Don

To add to my original message:
Here is a link: https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... h-p1238279

I read in one of their newsletters some time back that they had been experimenting with different rubber seals to overcome this perennial fitting problem. Apparently no 'magic' seal was found, but they hit on the idea of slightly adjusting the edge of the glass (where and how much is, of course, their secret). That worked, so they are now offering modified glass for sale. This seems a reasonable solution to me--no windscreen should be such an ordeal to fit as the originals.
Last edited by don58van on Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

would think they have altered the profile of the corners of the glass because with after market rubbers, the rubber doesn't close up to the frame and needs to be stuck down ,not a problem with original rubber,but most rubber seal will have perished or gone hard by now. The last one I did both glasses were badly scratched to the point that in sunlight it was becoming a bit dangerous to see clearly . I had some flat laminated glasses cut by auto glass they fitted ok but weren't as thick as the original toughened so the gap between glass and rubber had to be filled all round with sealant,still had to stick the corners down. They did say that the only flat laminated glass available to them, was not recommended for front screens, EU regs, but since they were not fitting them billed me for tractor side screens .
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

I just used two wooden wedges to hold the glass in the rubber, dropped the bottom edge in place from the outside. inserted nylon cord in the rubber and pulled it in. Then twisted the wedges carefully until to central pillar fitted. Still needed sealant to make watertight though but looked spot on.
Good home offered for custom splittie
markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

so for the record i managed to fit one half screen with the help of Marija, as per pic attached, unfortunately I tried to push the half screen a little by hand to make an adequate centre gap but ended up pulling out the glass again :( hopefully we'll try to fit it in again someday soon.

A bit worried that the screen will not be very sturdy inside the rubber after fitting but i guess the centre pillar and some sealant will make it solidify in the frame what you think?

And another question please how does the rear view mirror fit on the centre pillar?
Attachments
80259166_998082250551093_3424006236847210496_n.jpg
80259166_998082250551093_3424006236847210496_n.jpg (126 KiB) Viewed 5337 times
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Once you get both glasses and centre strips in it all locks onto the frames and will be fine,get one in don't try to push it outwards get other in and spread them together various methods already posted the wooded wedges sound doable ,keep at it you will be an expert before long :D Once all in take them out and do it again to become a professional :o :o :D .you can then tour the country offering free fitting to all splity owners :) The mirror fits onto the centre inner there's a little nut fixed on near to the top of the strip and the mirror screws onto this BUT you may find its missing ,or like mine was unusable because the bolt from the mirror was broken off inside the nut.I fitted an after market by two self tappers onto the dash. this was on a saloon probably the same on your convertible. good luck.
markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

unfortunately another failed attempt at this happened yesterday :( I decided i go for undersize glasses by ESM has anyone tried them here please? Im going for the whole kit :

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... t-p1238239

what you think?
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Before you do I would establish where the undersized section is,because you will still need to go through same fitting procedure,if they are slightly narrower so that when both are fitted and the centre gap is wider then may be easier. But whatever they are you still need to overcome your fitting problems. When I had my laminated glasses cut they were thinner,and smaller all round,still had the same mess on to fit as the standard glass,with the added problem of sealant between rubber and frame and rubber and glass,because the smaller glasses didn't force the rubbers onto the frame tightly enough. But others who have used them may be able to advise you further . If they are recut laminated glasses they will be thinner because I was advised that there were no similar thickness sheets available ,.. Good luck.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Distant memory of old glass being 1.5mm thicker than new stuff.
Cardiff, UK
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

I have just fitted new old stock glass(1952) and a new rubber, it was too slack in the frame, luckily I had an older new rubber I had bought in 1984 and it went in OK. the new glass was the same thickness as original.The original triplex date was Dec 1950, I didn't know how bad the old glass was until I put the new one in.
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Just measured old windscreen glass and its 5.92mm thick.
markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

Yesterday was a big day... bug not just big enough... We managed to fit in the glass and the rubber with a gap ... but the rubber is just not sitting as it should .Any ideas how to fix this please?
Attachments
20200113_201816.jpg
20200113_201816.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 4988 times
20200113_201807.jpg
20200113_201807.jpg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 4988 times
20200113_201800.jpg
20200113_201800.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 4988 times
20200113_201754.jpg
20200113_201754.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 4988 times
20200113_200056.jpg
20200113_200056.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 4988 times