Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Fitting new door cards

Post by moggiethouable »

Evening all.
I am going to fit a pair of duo tone door cards to my 2 door.
Any hints tips Dos or don'ts ?
Thanks.
Where angels fear to tread
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Re: Fitting new door cards

Post by SteveClem »

I’d seal the backs with diluted PVA , to resist damp. Unless the car is kept inside and warm.
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Take the opportunity to inspect the door " internals " clean up as necessary and re-grease / oil as required.

Make sure the drain holes are clear.Replace any missing door clips or ones that are too far gone with rust to salvage. After lining up the clips on the new cards , pinch a bit of Vaseline between finger and thumb and wipe on the "v" part of each clip. It will help ease the clips in , to settle the card in it's final position. If you do it "dry " there is sometimes a tendency for the clips to grab / distort the card.Put new polythene sheet over the access holes and gaffa tape them in position.
School boy error.... don't forget to put the window winder and door opening springs on their respective shafts before putting the new door card on.
I , of course , have never done this.... ahem , well maybe once.Silly boy!
Also put a bucket or old washing up bowl beneath the handles when putting the retaining pins in. It will hopefully drop straight in the bucket and save hours of searching.
Hope it goes smoothly.
Bob
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Many thanks fellas.
Wish me luck.
Where angels fear to tread
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

As I'm in the process of of trying to sort out Basil's horrible brass screw fixings of the door cards, I thought I'd tag onto the end of this recent topic.
mogbob wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 pm
School boy error.... don't forget to put the window winder and door opening springs on their respective shafts before putting the new door card on.
I , of course , have never done this.... ahem , well maybe once.Silly boy!
Springs? What springs?
I've seen no mention of springs on the internal door handle or window winder. Basil certainly doesn't have them, and they're not illustrated on the CW parts drawings. I thought the handles were simply simply held tight by the screw...?

Next matter, Although Basil's doors are in good condition on the insides, there are NO Drain Holes in the doors, presumably from where the doors have been repaired in the past :roll:
20200606_143450.jpg
20200606_143450.jpg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 3045 times
Can someone point me at a drawing or somewhere to illustrate where I should make some?

Also, what is the correct wind seal or draft excluder for the door bottoms on a SII?
Are these right?
20200606_143555.jpg
20200606_143555.jpg (4.39 MiB) Viewed 3045 times
Many thanks
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

My car has a spring washer under the screw that holds the winder and door handle - but I'm not sure that is what Bob means, as he talks about fitting them before putting the door card on - I'm sure he will be along to elaborate.
Re drain holes, just drill three or four holes along the lowest point under the door - don't forget to paint or otherwise rust-proof where you have drilled. I can't tell from your pic but your seals look like some sort of foam - might just be the pic but they should be rubber.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As standard there are three elongated holes in the bottom of the door. The elongations are from the outer edge of the door towards the inside of the door. The elongations are approx. 1" long by 3/8" wide. They are evenly spaced along the bottom of the door.

Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Speaking from experience be very careful when drilling the holes for the drain in the bottom of the door it's very easy to go straight through into the outer door skin especially towards the rear section of the door
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

myoldjalopy wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:53 pm My car has a spring washer under the screw that holds the winder and door handle - but I'm not sure that is what Bob means, as he talks about fitting them before putting the door card on - I'm sure he will be along to elaborate.
Re drain holes, just drill three or four holes along the lowest point under the door - don't forget to paint or otherwise rust-proof where you have drilled. I can't tell from your pic but your seals look like some sort of foam - might just be the pic but they should be rubber.
Yes, I'm well confused by the idea of having 'Springs' on before the door card, even more than just the idea of there being a spring. I'm not sure if he's referring to Springs or Spring Washers.

The useless seals I have are a short hair brush, like the sort of thing you sometimes see in a Fire Door Frame as a smoke seal. Totally pointless.
I've always been confused by the door seals as I've seen some mention of both an upper and lower seal, although places like ESM & CW just seem to offer a U shape item (EXC110), which is presumable what I need.
philthehill wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:22 pm As standard there are three elongated holes in the bottom of the door. The elongations are from the outer edge of the door towards the inside of the door. The elongations are approx. 1" long by 3/8" wide. They are evenly spaced along the bottom of the door.
Thanks phil - so if they're equally spaced, approximately how far from the front and rear are the first and last, so to speak?

A thanks to propshaft for the word of caution too. Always useful to have the benefit of others experience. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

On my 1958 Minor 2 door the door drain holes are 2 1/2" from the front and rear inner faces of the door. and the central hole is 17 1/2" from the front inner face of the door.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Thanks Phil
Thumbs1.jpg
Thumbs1.jpg (11.91 KiB) Viewed 4417 times
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

"I've always been confused by the door seals as I've seen some mention of both an upper and lower seal, although places like ESM & CW just seem to offer a U shape item (EXC110), which is presumable what I need."
Yes, EXC110 is what you need to replace your 'brush' type strips. There should also be a metal strip which sits inside the rubber and allows the clips to retain everything.
There is also a lower seal fixed to the underside of the door (EXC130) but many leave this off as it is a known rust trap.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

myoldjalopy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:35 pm Yes, EXC110 is what you need to replace your 'brush' type strips. There should also be a metal strip which sits inside the rubber and allows the clips to retain everything.
There is also a lower seal fixed to the underside of the door (EXC130) but many leave this off as it is a known rust trap.
Thanks
I think the meal part of the brush seal I have will substitute for the metal strip.
Basil's doors don't have the channel for the EXC130.
I've now actually found this old topic from 2015, which shows the lower channel, so now I know the difference.
viewtopic.php?t=61770#p567043
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

If 'Basil' hasn't got the channel for the lower seal I wouldn't worry about it. As I said, many when repairing these door bottoms omit the lower channel and seal altogether as it encourages rust in that area. I didn't have them replaced when my doors were repaired for that very reason - and I don't notice it as any more draughty. I have, of course, the other, upper rubber seal in place.
padflav1

Post by padflav1 »

Hope this is the appropriate place to ask this question (my first ever post) at the tail of a very helpful thread - what’s the best method for making the hole in brand new door cards?
Having splashed out on a new set, I don’t want to mess things up when pushing the door handle and window winder shafts through the vinyl ‘foam’. Should I make a hole with, say, a screwdriver or maybe melt a sealed hole with a soldering iron? Any advice gratefully received.
[sig]8418[/sig]
padflav1
Fillongley
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

padflav1 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:59 pm Hope this is the appropriate place to ask this question (my first ever post) at the tail of a very helpful thread - what’s the best method for making the hole in brand new door cards?
Actually Patrick, .... you've posted on 3 earlier occasions, which is why you show 4 posts since joining in July 2008.
Fri Aug 01, 2008
Sat Aug 02, 2008
Sat May 30, 2009

What's surprising me is that after 11+ years, you could remember your username/password... perhaps you're still on the same device with the details in memory?
:lol: :lol:

I would suggest that after a few tries at holding the card in place to check the fasteners line up with the door holes and that the 2 drives shafts align with the holes in the hardboard, then you simply get a sharp blade and simply 'star' a small incision in the centre of each drive hole. Make the star just big enough for the shaft to pass thorough.

(Edited to correct a typo)
Last edited by geoberni on Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

padflav1

Post by padflav1 »

Many thanks and best wishes, Geoberni...and I'm amused to be reminded, yes back in the day I had actually posted in this Message Board. It was erased completely from the memory....
I've just renewed membership having been lockdown-restoring a 1965 Traveller after 8 years, er, dormancy in a leaking garage. The advice archived here has been totally priceless in supporting my endeavours!
So, deft use of a Stanley knife, then, a small cross. :)
johngrigg
Minor Friendly

Post by johngrigg »

Also I find it easier to cut from the centre out. Put the knife point exactly in the centre and push gently. Don't go too far although the handle flange will cover a multitude of errors. Now my new carpet does not fit properly around the dip switch and needs trimming.anybody got a pet way of doing this? Cheers JohnG
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Just an update on my post here back in June about lower Door seals.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=71295&hilit=door+se ... 55#p654458

I discovered that there was a solitary 'drain hole' in each door, simply because the person who did the door repairs left a small gap on the front edge on both doors. I've now drilled 3 drain holes in each door in the appropriate places. I decided making slots was going to be far too difficult.
After a small pilot drilling, I used a 9.10mm which is quite close to the 3/8" that Phil mentioned.
I dread to think exactly how Basil's door bottoms were repaired, as even though I drilled where the bottom should be a single skin, I went through 2 and in one place 3 layers of metal... but it was all solid enough. I'm going to ensure a good coating of waxy preservative before refitting the door cards and fitting the new bottom seals.
I finally realised what the 'door seals' were that had been fitted (see the link), they are the weather strips for the drop glass (EXC105) :roll:

The right seals, along with the metal bars and new clips are on the way; I had been thinking about using the clips I already had (in the window strips) but I spotted they are a different part number, so presumably a little shorter as they don't need to fit through the rubber. For the sake of £4 on the order, it wasn't worth risking having to order them as an afterthought.
Basil the 1955 series II