Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
markattard
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

carpet underfelt

Post by markattard »

Which Carpet underfelt is to be used 1. to be as much as possible original 2. to have sound deadening and waterproofin?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: carpet underfelt

Post by myoldjalopy »

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Something like this, I would say: https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/ ... ening-felt
That's exactly the stuff I used from Woolies...….and it's very, very good - certainly as far as sound-deadening goes. I doubt it will be much good if you're looking for something with water-proofing qualities. Think it will be about as effective as blotting paper!!

I can't think of anything that could be deemed to be waterproof. Better just to try and avoid water ingress in the first place.

Seriously though, the Woolies material is the stuff to use, as far as I'm concerned. I used it under the bonnet, all along the floor and transmission tunnel and as far up the inside of the bulkhead as I could get. Even on the inside of the boot lid. The only trouble is...…..at over 40mph, I can hear my wife nagging, err, I mean, talking now. :wink:

PS: I love her really......and my wife's Ok too!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I brought very similar stuff from ebay last year. Still got to get around to fitting it, just not found time to strip the carpet out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-underfel ... 2749.l2649

Shipping rate is about the same as Wollies, so cheaper overall.
Basil the 1955 series II

markattard
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by markattard »

what do you think of the Latex Backed Felt ?
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

It was the latex-backed felt that I used. It might be my imagination but I think it looks slightly thicker than the one without the backing. Also - and probably only a marginal advantage - it's a bit less 'fluffy' when applying it, as the latex backing does hold the fibres together.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I used it to apply it to the underside of the bonnet with the black side showing which makes for quite a neat finish.

I even had enough left over to, in effect, make a boot carpet (I have a 4 door saloon) - again with the black latex backing face up, which looks smart...…...and stops my toolbox and other bits and bobs sliding about.

Alan

PS: I agree with geoberni, the material he bought does look exactly like the stuff that I bought from Woolies.....so I could perhaps have saved myself a shekel or two. :(
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

The latex-based felt does claim that the 'latex backing on one side offers a slight moisture barrier....' but, of course, if it is for carpet underlay/sound deadening, this would not be necessary if the car is bone dry internally - no leaks!