Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Roof guttering

Post by parahandy 15 »

Having discovered a lot of rust in the roof edge area above the door, I will have to get it sorted. I have cut out the area on the roof, and welded in a new patch which is looking good ,my butt welds are improving in leaps and bounds with all the practice I am getting !
The trim which joins the two edges and between the roof and the door reveal will need to be replaced, but does not appear to be available ready made,so I will have to make it from scratch. Someone must have done this previously, so can I ask for any tips or advice? I have a sheet of 18 G steel,(getting smaller as we speak) and have access to a good folder. I will need to make about 1000 mm length as it will have to go down along past the windscreen.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Roof guttering

Post by les »

Is this the piece you’re referring to? (This is from an lcv I presume other Minors are similar)If so start with a strip of metal 20gauge, same as the surrounding metal anyway. Length, as required. The width to include the curve to be formed. From memory I formed this curved area by wrapping it around some steel bar, from memory probably 1/4”diameter. I can’t remember how I secured the piece to do this, probably holding the metal and bar in a vice, then beating it round, along the length. When done the profile can be carefully bent to suit and as you can see drilled for plug welding.
FAF59111-B6BF-4C49-815F-D851128A47AB.jpeg
FAF59111-B6BF-4C49-815F-D851128A47AB.jpeg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1298 times

parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

That's it Les, almost identical. The strip appears to be a rust trap, when I peeled it off, the metal was very rusty underneath, so a patch was needed. I will do as you suggest and have a go at making a new strip and welding it on. I will try to post some pics of progress.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

On ours I replaced everything from the door seal flange out, I removed, repaired and re-fitted the area at the base of the A pillar and folded the rest from 1mm sheet steel I can't remember it being that difficult, just make sure it goes tightly into the corner otherwise the door window frame will hit it. Make sure yòu paint the panel with weld through before you fit it, it's condensation from the roof on the originally unpainted metal which I think causes the rust. There were loads of pictures in my restoration thread (VAE306H) but they all seem to have been removed when the forum moved.
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

Hi Kevin, that's interesting what you say,condensation from the roof. That explains why it appears to have rusted from the inside out.
Well on with job now, will post some pics when able.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

Lot cheaper and more satisfying to make it yourself, but ESM do sell ready formed guttering

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... ed-p828372

The old Lindsay Porter Haynes restoration guide has pictures of one of the Charles Ware guys making gutter sections.
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

Thanks Mark, iI did not see that item in their website.
In any case I ploughed on ahead and made some up using 18G steel sheet, a smigen on the thick side but i has worked out pretty well.
Pics to follow.....
Next job is to get the door fitted.... I have already had a go at it without much luck, I did measure the opening very accurately before I did the sills, and the opening measurement is the same, but I reckon that the flitch panel is way out.
One last question... how do I get the front edge of the headlining out of the top of the screen panel? I have undone the wires but there appears to be a piece of plywood holding it in place. Are there clips holding it in, and if so how the hell do I get them out? Thanks.
Attachments
P1010007.JPG
P1010007.JPG (150.49 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
P1010006.JPG
P1010006.JPG (143.67 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
P1010014.JPG
P1010014.JPG (147.4 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
P1010016.JPG
P1010016.JPG (148.09 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

There are indeed two clips holding the plywood strip in and securing the front of the headlining. They can be tricky to release. If you slide something from side to side through the gap below the headlining you should be able to feel where the two clips are. You have to get underneath them and push the springclips up. I don't have a picture of them so it is hard to explain.
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

Hello..... real bu**ers but got them .Thanks.