Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Woodwork refurb traveller

Post by cococola »

Just wondering how often it would be recommended to retreat the woodwork on my Morris minor traveller.i replaced the whole frame 12months ago and everything is fine so I would imagine another 12months before I will need to refresh the coat.i used the varnish rather than the oil as a preference.
Many thanks
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Woodwork refurb traveller

Post by ManyMinors »

SO many variables aren't there. I suppose it depends on how the car is used, stored and the condition of the timber. Human nature and a lack of spare time mean that most of us tend to leave it too long. The original BMC handbook states: "Re-varnish the woodwork annually, using varnish recommended.... Sand the original varnish with 320 grade wet-and-dry paper, used dry" I suppose on that basis and if the woodwork is clean and dry and in good condition, now is a good time to give the frame some further protective coats :) . Never attempt the job if the woodwork is damp at all as varnish will seal any dampness in.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

The original BMC handbook states: "Re-varnish the woodwork annually, using varnish recommended.... Sand the original varnish with 320 grade wet-and-dry paper, used dry"
I doubt many adhered to that practice, especially in the longer-term. If they had, I suspect there would be more travellers about today! I had one once, with bracket fungi decorating the woodwork! :lol:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
The problem with varnish is that it's not very good at protecting the wood in the long term, even if done annually what about the parts you can no longer access now the frame is in place. Plus, as has been stated above, you have to be very careful you don't seal dampness in.
I think this is one case where adhering strictly to originality could possibly have a negative affect on the car, that said it is your car and, as such, always your choice.
I've attached some links to other posts covering this topic below, should you wish to read them.
Best wishes,
Mike.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48754&p=468579&hil ... on#p468579

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46914&p=447663&hili ... nt#p447663

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45667&p=529142&hili ... nt#p529142

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45188&p=469054&hili ... nt#p469054
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As I might have written before, if you have twelve traveller owners gathered together then you'll get at least fourteen different answers to any question about woodwork. :o
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Except they'll all agree it is vulnerable to rot and decay if neglected! :wink:
Biggles1957
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Biggles1957 »

OSMO OIL!!!!! :D