Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Where do I start

Post by Murrayminor »

This is my first complete vehicle restoration and its a steep learning curve.
I foolishly began at the front of the vehicle and removed one of the tie plates to reveal horrendous rust in the chassis rails.

I then spoke to a friend who suggested I begin my restoration from the rear working forward to ensure the shell kept its shape.( I have it braced inside side to side and front to back)

If that is the way forward what should I do about the removed tie plate?

Will the shell stay in one piece if I was to remove one chassis rail at a time even with the tie plates removed?
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Re: Where do I start

Post by Myrtles Man »

Murrayminor wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:45 am This is my first complete vehicle restoration and its a steep learning curve.
Given your background line of work, it sounds like you may be a budding Ant Anstead and he seems to have done pretty well! Good luck with your project and no doubt the many on here with detailed experience of rebuilds will be along soon to guide you.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Remember the old adage Measure Twice Cut Once..
Keep the measurements for future reference when you put it all back together.
Tie everything together as much as you can; make sure that the door apertures are well braced and I would put a cross bracings across the car at the 'B' post and if you can at the 'A' post. With all that bracing everything will be alright. Good luck.

kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

as long as you brace it up and do one bit at a time i.e.. do one sill section and replace it before doing other side,same with chassis and inner wings etc. Also be prepared to trim/ fettle new panels, non fit exactly these days copies of copies etc. good luck with it.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Myrtles Man wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:06 am
Murrayminor wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:45 am This is my first complete vehicle restoration and its a steep learning curve.
Given your background line of work, it sounds like you may be a budding Ant Anstead and he seems to have done pretty well! Good luck with your project and no doubt the many on here with detailed experience of rebuilds will be along soon to guide you.
I wouldn't mind a bit of his money to help me along!!
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

philthehill wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:15 am Remember the old adage Measure Twice Cut Once..
Keep the measurements for future reference when you put it all back together.
Tie everything together as much as you can; make sure that the door apertures are well braced and I would put a cross bracings across the car at the 'B' post and if you can at the 'A' post. With all that bracing everything will be alright. Good luck.
At the moment I have braced the car across under the dashboard, from there I have a triangle reaching back to another brace bar between the B posts and these in turn are welded to the transmission tunnel via two vertical bars

I take it I now need to remove the doors and brace between the apertures leaving enough room to get my welding torch in.
Will one brace bar suffice or two on each aperture?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I would put two braces per door. You cannot have too many braces especially if you need to replace the side boxing panels.

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

philthehill wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:12 am I would put two braces per door. You cannot have too many braces especially if you need to replace the side boxing panels.
Many thanks
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

It's best bracing to the bottom of the dash, the A pillar and kick panel are usually pretty rotten, I ended up with the dash floating in free air!

Do one side at a time and keep using the other as a referrance.

If you are replacing the A pillar use the doors to align it but put a couple of shims under each hinge so you have some room to adjust it later.