Post by noidea »

just wondering what polish and if people t-cut there cars for a good shine
dave
KeithL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: advice on polish

Post by KeithL »

I normally use Autoglym Super Resin Polish on my cars but may try the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish when I run out as I have heard good reports. That having been said I haven't polished the Traveller in 10 years as the paintwork is still fine, although I was looking at it the other day and thinking that maybe the time has come to give it a polish. Normally I just wax it after I wash it.

Only use T-Cut if you have damaged paintwork e.g. deep scratches you want to remove.

Tea
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Tea »

It will depend on the condition of your paint. If it’s very dull, hazed/ cloudy with scratches I’d agree with KeithL and t-cut. One of our cars needed fairly major detailing last year - including wet sanding with 3000 grit sandpaper, t-cutting and applying Autoglym’s super resin polish with a DA polisher and the paint came up like glass which it wouldn’t have done had I only used the polish. Ordinarily, I’d only wash, clay bar and wax.
Of all the polishes I’ve used so far, Autoglym’s has definitely come out on top for!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I normally use Autoglym Super Resin Polish on my cars but may try the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish when I run out as I have heard good reports.
Many years ago I went to the NEC classic car show with some friends of mine. At the show was a Meguiar's advertising stand, with a salesman on the microphone, whilst doing the usual spot demo's, bigging up Meguiar's above all others, especially Autoglym and quoting from and article in a (then) current edition of Practical Classics, which he claimed backed up his claim that Meguiars was superior.
Unfortunately for him I had read said article myself and what it actually said was that they were just as good as each other but that Meguiar's was the harder of the two to apply or buff off (can't remember which now).
I pointed this out to him, quoting from the article, it stopped him in his tracks and for some reason he didn't seem to like me very much.
I walked off and left him to it, though I think his ego took a hit.............
Ever since I've always used Autoglym.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Autoglym for me. I tried the Meguiar's once and found it required much more effort. As said above, whether to use T-cut depends on how bad the paint is.

Once polished, paint should be protected with a wax. Interestingly, Practical Boat Owner magazine ran some scientific tests on GRP hulls and found that a polished only hull was shinier (measured with some special instrument) than a waxed one, the wax losing a few points on the shiny scale. I presume that the same will apply to metal cars, but the wax is there to provide protection, and the difference between waxed and unwaxed is not likely to be noticeable to the average human eyeball.
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

the paintwork is great it has been in a garage for 45years and just waxed every 6months but the bonnet looks dull compared to the wings but i dont know weather to leave as it is or not what are your thoughts

dave
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Difficult to tell without seeing it. But its your choice. Personally, from what you have said, I would T-cut the bonnet to see if it can then match the rest of the car but, once you have done that, you may feel the rest of the car needs T-cutting as well! Or, perhaps, maintain the 'aged patina' with waxing, especially if the chrome is 'aged' as well.
stuupnorth
Minor Fan

Post by stuupnorth »

all depends on budget and personal preference
i have polish/ waxes that cost only a few quid up to nearly £100
here is my morris along with the shelves stocked with too much stuff!! lol
IMG_20141019_143657782.jpg
IMG_20141019_143657782.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2157 times
and here's a couple of 'old bangers ' i did for mates
DSCF1433.JPG
DSCF1433.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 2157 times
DSCF1665.JPG
DSCF1665.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2157 times
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

where abouts are you based do you do valeting
dave
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

it dosnt look to bad but with a car that age should it be perfect
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

After previously being sceptical about using a clay bar on any car I decided to try it on my modern car first and done correctly the results are great. I did my Morris and the years of grime and rubbish it removed sitting on top of the paint was astounding.
Before applying any compound I would use a clay bar first as it will make it easier to treat the surface afterwards.
The best way to test if your car needs the clay bar treatment is to run the tips of your fingers lightly along a panel, it will feel like sandpaper. After using a clay car do the same again and it will be like runnning your fingers over glass.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
stuupnorth
Minor Fan

Post by stuupnorth »

noidea wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:31 pm it dosnt look to bad but with a car that age should it be perfect
you would be surprised mate the blue vw had been through car washes and the paint was a right mess
the Aston took me about 30hrs to do (was a mates so no rush)
this was his pervious aston before
DSCF1161.JPG
DSCF1161.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 2081 times
DSCF1162.JPG
DSCF1162.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2081 times
after
DSCF1332.JPG
DSCF1332.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2081 times
stuupnorth
Minor Fan

Post by stuupnorth »

forgot to say I'm in the north east of Scotland Aberdeenshire
i do valeting but only when i can fit it in with work more of a hobby than a full time job
couple more of the cars I've done
DSCF0763.JPG
DSCF0763.JPG (60.02 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
DSCF1531 (2).JPG
DSCF1531 (2).JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 2078 times
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

——-and when you’ve decided which polish to use, make sure you take every precaution to protect the finish !
DC8CA432-09D7-47AC-8C37-1992F1DDD2C2.jpeg
DC8CA432-09D7-47AC-8C37-1992F1DDD2C2.jpeg (143.26 KiB) Viewed 2071 times

stuupnorth
Minor Fan

Post by stuupnorth »

god that's a blast from the past!! DLT !!
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

some lovely cars to far away from me to do my morris minor

dave