Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stevie Jr
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Mag Wheels Vers Originality

Post by Stevie Jr »

I have just bought a morris minor in great condition but was wondering if putting mag wheels would devalue the car and is it best to just leave it in the most original condition possible
I was also thinking about new coil suspension and bucket seats but just a bit frightened it would wreck the appeal and value of the car
Also is doing this considered to be a modification for higher insurance premiums and road tax
Any comment would be greatly appreciated :D
Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Mag Wheels Vers Originality

Post by Bowie69 »

No, yes, yes.

:)
Stevie Jr
Minor Friendly

Post by Stevie Jr »

Bowie69 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:35 pm No, yes, yes.

:)
OK Ill seek treatment for a split personality - lol
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

its your vehicle do what you want, if it makes the car safer or more comfortable for the daily drive then so be it.
Unless your car is a pristine lowlight then modifications will make it easier for you to enjoy and the majority of modifications can be reversed.

Drive and enjoy.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Another thing to consider is if you decide in the future to sell the car it limits choice in who buys the car due to personal preferences on how cars look imo.
I had my wheels banded so that I retained the original style of the wheel but with a style twist in how the also look,again its personal preference so do what makes you happy and enjoy :)
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You do need to inform your insurance company that you have fitted alloy wheels as it increases their risk. Whether it results in increased premiums is debatable but they should be informed.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
As above, it's your car.
But any irreversible modifications may well limit its appeal should you decide to sell it later on.
When you do these things to it you have to accept this.
With the wheels though I would keep the originals (clean and dry) and refit them if you sell.
For one thing you may well get more for the Mag wheels by selling them separately.

Insurance companies will increase / load a premium on the slimmest of pretexts, even when they say they won't, they do love taking our hard earned off us at any excuse.....
Of course that's just my 'Cynical head' in play there.........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Stevie Jr
Minor Friendly

Post by Stevie Jr »

Yeah I like the idea of banded wheels .Ill go for that instead and get the rear and front suspension upgraded
Other than that I think ill keep it original -Iam not going to be driving anywhere fast after all am i

Bucket seata is still appealing though but as you can see its in really good original condition

If it can be reversed without too much damage I think ill go for that and keep the old seats

Thanks for all you very kind comments :D
Morris Minor 2.jpg
Morris Minor 2.jpg (270.84 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Morris Minor 2.jpg
Morris Minor 2.jpg (270.84 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Attachments
Morris Minor 5.jpg
Morris Minor 5.jpg (153.33 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
hanvyj
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by hanvyj »

I have a set of mag wheels but kept the originals. I like slot-mags because they are more of a 'period' modification. I like that look. It's not a car I have as an investment, it's a car I have because I like it!