Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Filling wood joints and removing Trav door handle

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I used a mixture of wood glue and fine sawdust but this eventually cracks as the timbers shrink and swell. What is the best wood filler to use to press into the joints?

What is the right way to remove the Traveller door handle and lock?
Biggles1957
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Filling wood joints and removing Trav door handle

Post by Biggles1957 »

I had a small bit of wood starting to go at the bottom of the 'B' pillar where it joins the 'sill' piece - the curved part. I cut it out and scarfed in a new piece of ash firstly treating all the wood behind and around with wood hardener (it's a solvent based solution containing plastic - when the solvent evaporates the wood becomes plasticised and rock solid) then used the two part filler from the same system to glue the new piece of wood in and fill the gap behind it. Treated the wood with Osmo Oil. Still rock solid seven years later. For the small gaps between joints in the frame I didn't use the two part filler (I think the hardener and filler may have been Ronseal or Cuprinol products - maybe both do it?) because it sets hard like epoxy so isn't flexible. I used Stixall which is an EDPM rubber like sealant/adhesive and sets to remain slightly flexible. It's very much like Tiger Seal but considerably cheaper (from Toolstation I had mine). I used it round the glass and glass runners etc on my traveller and it really is good stuff. I've even used it to repair part of the rubber bumper on the Bentley where the metal fixing inside rots. It comes in a cartridge like lots of other fillers etc but if you fill a 10 or 20ml syringe with it you can inject it into small gaps very neatly. Wipes off easily too before it cures so...
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

For the door lock, presumably you mean the rear doors? Remove two screws from outside. On the inside, remove single screw that aligns with the lock shaft where it passes through the mechanism contained within the square plates. Pull the handle out. You may need to apply Plus Gas to help separate the shaft from the mechanism, possibly even a hammer with a correctly sized drift, but in that case, ensure that the surrounding door is well supported to avoid damage. This is what you're trying to get off/out:
Handle.jpg
Handle.jpg (3.31 KiB) Viewed 718 times
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Thank you both, yes that is the handle I want to remove. I am going to try Osmo oil Biggles I also saw mentioned in another thread, I initially used yacht varnish and this looked great and worked fine but after 2 years needs doing again (just like in the old days I imagine). Like someone then said, its not the best way to do it now.