Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chris
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wing mirrors

Post by Chris »

Hi again,

My minor has no wing mirrors, I understand that a lot don't, but I would quite like to have some. I presume that I will have to drill holes in the wings, does anybody know where the measurements can be found?

I also heard that you could get mirrors that fit onto the quarterlights, has anybody else heard of these, if so are they any good?

Thanks,
Chris
Cam

Post by Cam »

You can put the wing mirrors wherever you like and yes the wings have to be drilled, but I personally don't have any so I can't give you the measurements.

I do have a quarterlight type mirror, I don't think that they look very good personally but they are a lot easier to fit and they give reasonable visability and I would assume that the visability is better than the wing mirrors.

The only problem is that mine has developed some surface rust along the edges in less than 12 months (bought from Morris Minor Centre in Birmingham).

I don't know if they are all the same quality from the different suppliers though.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

I wouldn't recommend the clip-on type for everyday driving in traffic. I can only set mine up so that they are tall and thin. That's fine if you want to see the back wheel and rear roofline at the same time :-? but the view of your rear threequarters (to see cars overtaking for example) is very limited.

I'm looking for a set of mirrors myself. The oblong ones available from many classic car suppliers would solve the rear 3/4s visibility problem but to my eye they don't match the lines of a moggie. I'd quite like a set of the 'bullet' shaped ones available for Minis but they are rather expensive and I don't know if they have the advantage I mentioned earlier.
Can anyone advise?
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Willie
Minor Legend

mirrors

Post by Willie »

It is a matter of personal preference of course but surely
the 'bullet' shaped mirrors would look out of place on a minor?
If you want a wide field of view then the mirrors should be
CONVEX...the only disadvantage being that it makes it hard
to judge how far away the vehicles are! The original type
wing mirrors need quite a large hole for mounting if they are
the spring loaded type. The ideal is a door mirror, but, I for one
cannot find a period looking one anywhere. I have seen a pic of
a Minor with a 'door' mirror screwed to the triangular metal
part of the 1/4 light..now that looked just right.
Willie
olonas

Wing mirrors

Post by olonas »

Chris - My saloon has "spring back" Desmo type wing mirrors. I originally fitted fixed round mirrors which required a hole about 10mm diameter drilling in the wings, however when knocked the mirrors and their stems moved. I therefore fitted the spring backs. These did need a 18mm hole to accept the spring assembly. I will measure the position of the mirrors in relation to wing front and bonnet edge and post later. Bear in mind that this position may not be correct for you so sit in the car and experiment by having someone position mirror heads before drilling. Before drilling stick some masking tape over the area, helps prevent the drill bit slipping! Cover the exposed metal with paint immediately and treat underneath with Waxoyl, underseal or similar after fitting mirrors.
I think the mirrors Willie mentions are fitted to my Traveller (on the steel part of quarterlight assembly). I personally find them more than adequate and it saves drilling the wing. Unfortunately I don't know their origin, they were fitted to the car by a previous owner. I may be able to find out though if required. If you let me know your e-mail address I could maybe send a photo of the quarterlight mirrors?
olonas

Wing mirrors

Post by olonas »

Chris - the holes for the wing mirrors on my saloon are positioned (both wings) 260mm from the front of the wing at the headlight and 130mm from the inner edge adjacent to the bonnet. Both measurements with steel tape held against the wing and not a straight line with tape away from wing. Does that make sense? If you go ahead and whatever position you choose make sure there is sufficient access to tighten the securing nuts from the underside.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Chris, I have fitted wing mirrors to my pick-up and the original position it appears is 7 inches from the wing front and at the highest point on the width, hope this helps.
Chris
Minor Friendly

Thanks

Post by Chris »

Thanks for that help, and those positions, I now have a good idea of where to start. :D

Olonas my e-mail is chris@diveconnections.com I haven't been able to find any pictures of the quarterlight on the internet, so I would be quite happy if you were to send those to me. Thanks. :D

Hope you all had a good christmas,
Thanks again,
Chris
Chris
Minor Friendly

Thanks

Post by Chris »

Thanks for that help, and those positions, I now have a good idea of where to start. :D

Olonas my e-mail is chris@diveconnections.com I haven't been able to find any pictures of the quarterlight on the internet, so I would be quite happy if you were to send those to me. Thanks. :D

Hope you all had a good christmas,
Thanks again,
Chris
olonas

Wing/quarterlight mirrors

Post by olonas »

Chris - o.k. I'll do that. Hopefully at the weekend.
Chris
Minor Friendly

Post by Chris »

Many Thanks :D
Willie
Minor Legend

mirrors

Post by Willie »

CHRIS...........I think I have found the period style door
mirror to which I have referred. It is on page 19 of the
Nov/Dec 2002 Minor matters magazine. Mr Grumpy's ad.
It is described as "new Lucas style round door mirror",it
is expensive but at least we know they are out there, a
visit to one of our Minor rallies might turn one up for less.
Willie
an_avenger
Minor Fan

Post by an_avenger »

I do recemmend the 'desmo' variety - after parking my mog in a notorious street for 'nova and fiesta townies' speeding down I came across in the morning i found my driver's wing mirror absolutely obliterated..... thankfully no damage was done to the wing but 'spring-back' wing mirrors are in my opinon a good choice if the same circumstances does occur again! Fixed ones would rip off half the wing!
Chris
Minor Friendly

Got some

Post by Chris »

Thanks for all the help,

I eventually decided to get them fitted by my local cantre, as I didn't trust myself. It cost a bit more than I expected, but I'm glad they're sorted.

Cheers,
Chris
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Those Lucas-style door mirrors look good, but at that price they're an absolute rip-off. I bought some at the NEC autojumble for £20 the pair, I think. They look fab, and fit just as well on the wings, which is where I have mine. They're a little low, I think, but I have the seat raised slightly ('cos I'm ikkle!) so it doesn't bother me.
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery