Chassis paint

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rhys Phipps
MMOC Member: No

Chassis paint

Post by Rhys Phipps »

Haven't really posted that much on here.

I was going to paint the underbody of my 65 moggy after some welding as well as a chassis of an old beetle.

I've been looking at the Frost own brand chassis black satin and primer as well as Eastwood extreme chassis black. Been looking for a long term solution without cutting corners. Has anyone had any experience with these, or any other recommendations?
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Chassis paint

Post by Andyhereford »

For what it is worth I used Frost’s chassis black. I found it reasonably priced and delivery was very prompt. It went on well but was thick enough not to drip excessively. I used it on the wheel arches, chassis legs and floor pan. I gave it two coats and then wax oiled.
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by culp »

Ive used it, on suspensions parts and odds and ends like the gearbox mounting brackets. It works well, can be sprayed. one thing is I find the gloss a bit too glossy and the satin, a bit too matt. Frost are a good company and give a good service
hanvyj
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by hanvyj »

I've been impressed with the EM121 Epoxy by Rustbusters. It's repackaged Jotun Smartpack, which was designed for marine applications. I've been using it for internal areas while welding panels up, and I've noticed it's really tough compared to conventional paints I've used (sanding back areas so I can weld). I'm impressed enough to plan using it for the whole underbody, even though it is a bit pricey.

Best for well treated (sanded or blasted) bare metal, and you'll probably want to go over it with a top coat of normal chassis paint, so depends what you're doing to your underside.