Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Michiel
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Hard board strips

Post by Michiel »

Dear all,
The wooden strips, should these go under the rear seat? What is the purpose?
Attachments
IMG_20210126_175616.jpg
IMG_20210126_175616.jpg (4.86 MiB) Viewed 913 times
Finished rescuing a 1967 2-door. Define finished....
mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Hard board strips

Post by mogbob »

Michiel I must confess I've never seen any wooden slats like that in a Morris Minor before. I can only assume the writing on one of the slats throws no light on the subject. Where were they , when you bought the car ? Loose in the boot / on the back seat / on the floors.
Are there any "witness marks " on the reverse side of the slats ? Were they used to adjust the height / slope of the rear seat. Compensate for a broken spring ( s ) / squashed padding in the upholstery.
If they had spent their previous life under the seat , I would have expected to see evidence of rubbing on the slats. Passengers or heavy objects carried on the backseat would have moved the springs / webbing , etc whllst
the car was in motion.
It's a bit of a mystery with not a lot to go on at the moment. I shall be fascinated to learn their purpose and hope
a wiser man or woman can "explain all " for us.
Bob
Michiel
Minor Friendly

Post by Michiel »

Bob they came with the car seperately. The previous owner said they should go under the rear seat. The total length corresponds with the rear seat width and have traces of glue on them, the same as the original carpet glue. I did not fit them as I could not see their use :-?
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Michiel Thanks for the response. Will await further input / wisdom from others on the Forum.
The quality of work under the bonnet , in " rescuing "your car , is very good. In my West Country
vernacular it's a " proper job " in my opinion. Bob
Michiel
Minor Friendly

Post by Michiel »

Thanks Bob and for your replies. I think I could conclude by now that it is an addition by the previous owner... Btw, I changed my 'signature' :)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

My similar age Minor 1000 had these strips too. I have no idea of their real purpose but they were indeed stuck between the carpet and the steel rear heelboard in front of the rear seat.
Michiel
Minor Friendly

Post by Michiel »

ManyMinors wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:52 am My similar age Minor 1000 had these strips too. I have no idea of their real purpose but they were indeed stuck between the carpet and the steel rear heelboard in front of the rear seat.
The mystery strips. 'Were stuck': you left them out as I did? Peculiar factory fitment, maybe only one or two production years. If so, something for the guy that keeps a list of production changes :wink:
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:52 am My similar age Minor 1000 had these strips too. I have no idea of their real purpose but they were indeed stuck between the carpet and the steel rear heelboard in front of the rear seat.
Sounds like the sort of thing that would be done to correct a mistake..... :-? :roll: perhaps they had a batch of carpets that were cut slightly short, so glued the battens in to shorten the floor pan and allow the carpets to be used.... :lol: :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II