Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Water leak

Post by les »

At last I think I’ve located the point in which water coming into my van.
Referring to the diagram, all panels are tighter together than shown, however the only way I see water being able to enter is at the point shown, probably by capillary action. I need to seal this entry point somehow, there was originally a type of caulking used in this area, and no doubt on saloons. Can anyone suggest a semi setting material suitable that would adhere to paint. I didn't want to use silicon. Thanks for any help.
C40FF30D-F060-461E-B2C2-58AD3CCE75A3.jpeg
C40FF30D-F060-461E-B2C2-58AD3CCE75A3.jpeg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 634 times
pgp001
Minor Addict

Re: Water leak

Post by pgp001 »

Sounds like a job for "Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure".........No I am not joking :D

https://captaintolleyshop.com/products/ ... ml-8-fl-oz

I have used it on my Traveller and it really does work.

Phil P
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks Phil, I actually thought of that, and indeed have got some but I convinced myself it would only be suitable for rubber gasket to metal sealing. —— perhaps not then!

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

When I replaced the front wings on my car I used a decorator's caulking (in a skeleton gun) to run between the inner and outer wing and fill the gap there. I could have used all kinds of different sealants instead I suppose but this has proved successful and still looks just as good many years later. It is water based so the excess just wiped off and, once dry could be painted over :)

Many years ago when I had a van, those internal gutters used to collect condensation which formed on the inside of the roof. Your water isn't just that I suppose?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

That’s a good point mm, and condensation did cross my mind but water finds its way onto the van floor so thought it too much for condensation. Water can be such a problem to pinpoint.