Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Quarterlight rubbers leaking

Post by Mark Wilson »

The good news is that my leaking windscreen discussed on here a week or so ago is now cured, just lots more sealant! Less good is that water is still p***ing through the quarterlights. I replaced all the seals and rubbers when I rebuilt the doors, but water is still getting past the rubbers in copious quantity, mainly at the bottom pointy end. Can someone look at my pictures and tell me if anything is obviously wrong, please? I'm particulary interested in the relationship of the rubber with the chrome triangle, both internally and externally. The vertical strip at the rear is probably the wrong way round, I had it with the lip just touching the glass, but that wasn't working so I turned it round to sandwich the rubber between the glass and the frame. Looks wrong, but more effective. Which way round should it be? I did fit new rubber channels around the glass, but these seemed to be leaking so I cut them back and filled with Tigerseal, which seems to work better. The quarterlights were second hand, they look correct to me, but comments invited.
Attachments
IMG_20210815_163212_4.jpg
IMG_20210815_163212_4.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1938 times
IMG_20210815_163129_2.jpg
IMG_20210815_163129_2.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 1938 times
IMG_20210815_163107_7.jpg
IMG_20210815_163107_7.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 1938 times
IMG_20210815_163039_7.jpg
IMG_20210815_163039_7.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 1938 times
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Re: Quarterlight rubbers leaking

Post by Mark Wilson »

Has no-one else experienced this problem? Or is it incurable? I'm now seriously considering fixing the quarterlights closed with tigerseal or similar. Has anyone else resorted to such a drastic cure?
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I experienced it on Abby, my old blue two door, after I renewed the quarterlight rubber seals when she was resprayed.
In the end I simply lived with it, as it wasn't spraying into the interior or anything, just running down the door.
The only problem with Tiger sealing them is if you find it still doesn't completely seal them, you'll never get them apart again easily (that stuff 'does what it says on the tin') and you could end up with a mess of sealant as you obsessively try to cure the problem......
Minors leak, some battles you win, some not......
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

It is possible that the new rubbers are inferior in quality to those of old. Many reports on here of poor quality rubber components, including windscreen rubbers, over the years. The fit in the corner in your third photo doesn't look brilliant :-?
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

myoldjalopy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:29 am The fit in the corner in your third photo doesn't look brilliant :-?
Totally agree - it was considerably neater until I engaged in a wrestling match with it! Do you think the lip on the rubber should be over or behind the chrome triangle?

The quality of this particular rubber component actually looks quite good. It just doesn't work on my car......
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Is this the answer? Is icing sugar and marzipan a suitable sealant? 😊
Attachments
Resizer_16297873478370.jpg
Resizer_16297873478370.jpg (4.43 MiB) Viewed 1748 times
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

That's brilliant. There are some very talented people around.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Lovely. So good I’d be reluctant to tuck in to it.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Surely just a simple silicone sealant that could be peeled off would work? or Duct Tape ! :D

Looking at the picture, is it possible that the water is running down behind the quarter light triangular corner piece, running under the rubber and in that way? It's just I notice there's a gap there and I see from your first post you were suspicious of that area anyway.

What you could try is a syringe or sports water bottle so you only have a small, controllable stream and start squirting in different areas and waiting between areas to see whether it comes out from there or not.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks. I've already done the spray investigation, and virtually all the penetration is between the rubber and the quarterlight frame forward of the pivot. So I do think I'll end up sealing with something at that point, although I'd rather avoid silicone as there's still some paintwork rectification needed.

The chrome triangle may be slightly distorted by the mirror fixing, but no evidence of penetration here reaching the interior.

Can anyone confirm the orientation of the vertical seal at the rear of the quarterlight - it's either the edge of the lip touching the glass on the inside, or the quarterlight glass sandwiching the rubber and pushing the lip away? The former looks better, the latter seals better!
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Mark Wilson wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:34 am Thanks. I've already done the spray investigation,
I thought that was rain :lol:

Here they are on mine if it's of any help to you:
IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0317.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1665 times
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1665 times
IMG_0323.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 1665 times
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict