Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tedlogan
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Dash Controls

Post by tedlogan »

Hi does anyone know how to take the four dash controls off? Do they screw off? Im worried i might snap them so could do with pointing in the right direction? Thanks Ted
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Dash Controls

Post by mike.perry »

To answer the question it would be usefull to know what model / year Minor you have
[sig]3580[/sig]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

It sounds like it's a ser III (i.e. pull start) I think these are held on by bolts from the back - under and behind the speedo. You will need to disconnect the battery (safety) and remove the glove boxes to get at them.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Going by previous posts it's a '64 traveller.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

"Dash controls" fall into different categories and depend on the year of manufacture.

Always disconnect the battery. You will need to remove gloveboxes and/or speedo to gain good access.

"Toggle" light switches have a securing ring on the front of the dash. Put the switch lever into the centre to make it easy to unscrew and remove the ring. The switch is then removed from behind the dash.

Choke Cable needs to be disconnected from carb. There is then a nut behind the dash. When nut removed, cable pulls out from front of dash.

Ignition switch similar to lights above.

Pull-on switches have the knob held on by a small spring loaded pin, seen from underneath if the switch is fitted correctly. Push pin in and slide knob off. Removal then as toggle switches above.

Pull starter - disconnect cable from connector on the cabin side of the bulkhead and then treat as choke cable above.

Washer pump also has a retaining ring and comes out from behind the dash, but I can't recall how to remove the knob. No doubt someone else will....
Last edited by simmitc on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Just like to add that it's a lot easier to see what you are doing if you remove the speedo first. This is held by crosshead screws that you loosen (not completely undo) through a hole in each glovebox liner.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
fussyoldfart
Minor Fan

Post by fussyoldfart »

Peetee wrote:Just like to add that it's a lot easier to see what you are doing if you remove the speedo first. This is held by crosshead screws that you loosen (not completely undo) through a hole in each glovebox liner.
I spent hours looking for this instruction, it's certainly not in the manual. I went straight to the garage to try it and it worked, up to a point. The speedo will move about 1/2" and then there's not enough slack in the cable to move further. Can it be done without disconnecting the other end of the speedo cable and pushing it along to get more slack? I don't want to use a lot of force until I know what I'm forcing :) All I want to do is replace the speedo head and maybe lube the cable a bit while I'm there.
Fussyoldfart in Welland Ontario.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Its a bit tight but there should be enough slack to get your hand behind the speedo head to release the cable, I assume you have slackened off both screws.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Is the speedo cable catching on something? Normally there is enough slack to let it move more than half an inch.
If it is retained under a metal tab release it first.
Get someone to look under the bonnet while you are tugging on the speedo to see what's going on, if it isn't catching then pull harder!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

I spent hours looking for this instruction, it's certainly not in the manual
The instructions are given in section N.31 (page N.33) of the BMC manual, but they're not very clear.

I also had a problem trying to remove the speedo on our car, As in Darrell’s case it moved about ½” and didn’t want to come any further. After much hassling with it I found that it was just a tight fit in the dash and didn’t want to come out, but I finally persuaded it after much wiggling and a few choice expletives. I think that there may have been some rust on the chrome bezel also.

HTH, Ken
Talk slow, think fast!
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

When loosening the speedo retaining screws, they need to be only "just" loose. If unscrewed too far then they foul the dash as you pull the unit out.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have found that the difficult bit is finding the screw through the hole. It is usually easier to take the glove box liner out, at least until you have had some experience at removing the speedo.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I find the holes on the repro glove box liners don't really line up with the speedo screws so it's as Mike wrote easier to remove the liners.
Declan

Regards
Declan
fussyoldfart
Minor Fan

Post by fussyoldfart »

mike.perry wrote:I have found that the difficult bit is finding the screw through the hole. It is usually easier to take the glove box liner out, at least until you have had some experience at removing the speedo.
I'd already had some "experience" at removing the glovebox liner, I wasn't entirely healed yet so I didn't want a return engagement :D

BTW, the speedo came out after I released the cable from its retaining clip. The replacement speedo I bought remains in the "parts bin" while the original, following a minor adjustment/repair, is back in the panel and working. I would recommend a new, sharp, Phillips-head screwdriver for the job. Working blind it's nice to feel a clear engagement with the screws.
Fussyoldfart in Welland Ontario.

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

simmitc wrote: Washer pump also has a retaining ring and comes out from behind the dash, but I can't recall how to remove the knob. No doubt someone else will....
Has anybody a tip on how to remove the washer pump knob?
Declan

Regards
Declan
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Have you tried un-screwing it?
Talk slow, think fast!
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I tried that before and there was no movement. I didn't want to damage it. Tried again this morning and it's off-it was just very tight.
Thanks Katy.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Have a very close look all round the knob for a small circular indentation.
If you clean out the grot you may find a grub screw that needs to be undone or a flat pin that needs to be pushed in to get the knob off.

If you break it. the way it was fixed on will become obvious :(

katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

If you break it. the way it was fixed on will become obvious
Can't argue with that logic. :o :o
Talk slow, think fast!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I like it so much, I'm going to call it Marks law.

I reckon the Victorians built stuff that made a feature of how it was put together.

It went downhill from then to "it's not obvious".

Then "no user serviceable parts inside" .

To "the only way to get this apart means you have to glue it back together".

To people who make and sell spares, this is progress.