Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
uax12
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Normal Operating Temp

Post by uax12 »

In twenty years of using minors as daily drivers I have only ever used 88 and 92 degree thermostats. The hotter you can run your engine the better it is, but be careful with the 92 degree one, you can get it too hot!
My GPO van had a good secondhand engine in it, but I played around and put a 92 degree in it. At the same time I also took the mechanical fan off and put an electric one (ex reliant robin of all things!) on the offside of the rad so that I could cool her down if required. One of the reasons for removing the fan was to get a few more BHP, as the engine wasn't brill. Even in summer I didn't need to put the fan on, the only times being in queuing traffic..... My Smiths temp gauge should a normal running temp of a needle thickness under 90.
After fitting a Searles recon lump I discovered that 92 was too hot, so I've dropped back to an 88 one and she sits about the same temp, and since fitting this engine I haven't used the fan (other than to test that is still works) as I haven't needed to.
When you fill up the rad if you have drained the system, run her up with the rad cap off until the temp gauge shows normal operating temp, then put the cap back on, (also run the heater fan in the car as that will help draw water around) and you should be ok.

Andy G
62 saloon
67 van