Rear Lights

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
leicester girl
MMOC Member: No

Rear Lights

Post by leicester girl »

I have a 1957 minor which is in the final stages of a major restoration. I need to install indicators on the rear of the car but would like to avoid hanging a separate unit from the rear bumper irons. Does anyone have an idea how we can incorporate an amber bulb into the rear lights so it can be clearly seen as an indicator.
phurn
Minor Fan

Re: Rear Lights

Post by phurn »

since the plastic cover is red i doubt theres much that can be done. you can however get inidactors that attach discreety underneath the bumper ect.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

By far the best option is to fit the later light units which have an orange section built in. Anything else looks pretty pathetic.......
ImageImage
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Some small clear or smoked motorbike lenses would be almost invisible just under the bumpers (my plan eventually) though height above ground may be an issue. I've seen modern cars with red lenses that flash orange but don't know exactly how or how you could mould something to look like a Minor lense.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The most accepted method on a Series MM is to hang them on brackets under the bumper irons. If necessary they can be twisted out of sight behind the bumper blade at rallies
[sig]3580[/sig]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

You can get LED lights built into bumper bolts, for a price mind.

I'd suggest something in the rear window and maybe on the wing mirror too if possible.

"But I was indicating" isn't going to help much if the side of your pride and joy just got mashed by some inattentive driver.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Heres my lowlight with the lights hung on brackets under the bumper[frame]Image[/frame]

I think its the neatest options rather than cutting holes in the body and it can easily be removed at any time. The wires come out via the exsisting hole in the rear arch and are neatly cable tied out of the way.

Too many Minors so little time.....
David53
Minor Addict

Post by David53 »

I considered all the options, and eventually decided on Traveller indicators with LED bulbs above the MM style rear lights. I felt the under bumper option was too low for modern traffic - not sure about the UK but here there are a large number of huge 4WD vehicles on the road and I felt they would not see indicators so low to the ground in close traffic, and that on the upper surface of the wing was safest. Prob not ideal from an appearance point of view (although they are at least genuine Morris Minor items), but safer in heavy traffic.

[sig]8913[/sig]

David
Sydney, Australia
1953 Ser II Empire Green
davidlyus

Post by davidlyus »

our 61 m 1000 came with surface mounting rear indicators as the car in the picture .inside there is a straight festoon bulb . i blv these are still available

http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/en/lis ... indicator/
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Not having overriders I was able to mount Traveller indicators on my Series MM on the panel between the wing and bootlid, level with the tail lights. I used the same indicators at the front and mounted them on the wings where the Minor 1000 lights are fitted
[sig]3580[/sig]
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

Have a look on here, there's a few different style thay could be mounted on the bumper valence and look 'period'.
http://fiftysixdelux.com/hotrod.htm
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

twincamman wrote:Have a look on here, there's a few different style thay could be mounted on the bumper valence and look 'period'.
Hmmm hand grenade shifters :lol:
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

dp wrote:
twincamman wrote:Have a look on here, there's a few different style thay could be mounted on the bumper valence and look 'period'.
I'm guessing they took the explosives out first......................
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

twincamman wrote:
dp wrote:
I'm guessing they took the explosives out first......................
What a great idea for an anti theft device....or maybe not!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

"They have been sourced from a very strange WWII collector" - I wonder what the story is behind this statement?

twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

I've heard that green indicator bulbs :o will turn red lenses orange on flashing. Don't know if this is true but picked some up on Ebay and will see what happens when I eventually crawl down the garage and tidy up so I can move and get on with my rewire.

Also heard of scooterists using the orange bulbs behind red lights and being okay. This is all hearsay of course and it could be the wrong kind of orange and/or not bright enough.

I think I've got a hand grenade lying around somewhere but they aren't the most comfortable thing as a gear lever and are quite heavy. Might also attract thieves. A yellow cord tied from the hand grenade pin to the doors might act as an anti-theft device but in the real world someone would break in and steal it. And imagine explaining that to the police:

"Hello, I'd like to report a break-in to my car, someone has stolen my hand grenade."....

"What do you mean you don't want a description of my car, I'll have you know it' a very rare Minor Million and they've damaged my rare stainless steel window surrounds!" :)
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

dp wrote:I've heard that green indicator bulbs :o will turn red lenses orange on flashing. Don't know if this is true but picked some up on Ebay and will see what happens when I eventually crawl down the garage and tidy up so I can move and get on with my rewire.

Also heard of scooterists using the orange bulbs behind red lights and being okay. This is all hearsay of course and it could be the wrong kind of orange and/or not bright enough.
(edit)
Just to update, I tried a green and orange bulb behind a red lense today, they were both just too red. The orange was completely red while the green had an orangy tinge but not enough.