A set of swinging furry dice! :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Cheap modifications

Post by bmcecosse »

The sooner daft 'headlight peaks' are banned - the better. Dangerous sharp edges sticking out the front of the car - pedestrians beware! Stone guards - fine if you plan on rallying the car and will be going faster than all the other cars so you catch them up on the stages........ :roll:
ImageImage
ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

ye i like the headlamp peaks they look nice and when i see them i always say i want them on myn, and is there any wheels expet the minilite wheels that look nice on a morris minor?

Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

ben_minor_63 wrote:is there any modifications that won't upset the older generation who like the car standard?
In a word no. Some people like major mods, some non at all, some things people think are very acceptable and sensible (radio, disc brakes, tele-dampers etc) whilst others hate them and or feel they are pointless. Even period accessories such as stone covers and headlamp peaks can cause offence. In a word, just do what you like for now, if you ever come to sell it you can always make the changes back if you feel it would help. Its your car, go for it. Listen to the advice, but not all the complaints about looks, non standard, etc. Young members section and FB may well give you more advice from people our age.
___Anne___

Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Slot Mags?[frame]Image[/frame]
Rostyles? (mg midget)[frame]Image[/frame]
___Anne___

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

hot rodder is selling his 14" slot mags. they look awesome, out of my budget though!
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

chrisryder wrote:hot rodder is selling his 14" slot mags. they look awesome, out of my budget though!
the question is cheap modifications..

i agree with alex'n'ane do what you like, it is your car after all..
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

oh yes that's true. ok paint the steelies to look like slot mags :lol:

cheap often means exactly that. things that are really good often cost the money.

modifying for modifyings sake is a bit silly without an idea of what is the area for improvement.

the only thing i know of that makes a minor look better, and is free, is taking the front suspension down a bit. ok it's free but it often results in changing the front bushes while you're there. and paying £30ish for lowering blocks for the back.

my two cents.
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

This is just my own opinion, since we're throwing opinions out there, but a Morris Minor only looks "right" when it's got the original pressed-steel wheels...slotmags and spokes are just weird, to me. The Spridget wheels look okayish.

On the overall subject, define "cheap." For instance, fitting four three-point seatbelts into my saloon will cost me about $200, money I don't have, but it's well worth it and in fact I wouldn't drive the car without fitting them. :o I would suggest safety upgrades are a must -- seatbelts, a hazard light setup, perhaps a fresh set of lock-barrels (or a deadbolt in the doors). Some people would throw things like disc brakes and halogen lights in the 'safety' category, but I hate halogen lights and disc brakes are overrated, so meh. :lol: You may think about more stuffing for the seats, a stiffer suspension, and if you're really going for the gusto, some added strengthening panels to the structure, a kit of which you can purchase from the incomparable JLH.

The basic concept I'm trying to get across is this: do whatever modifications it takes to make you feel 1) safe and 2) comfortable in your Minor. If that's originality, go for it. If that's a total mod, go for it. So long as the car stays on the road (and hasn't got the dreaded roof chop...please please don't do the roof chop, it looks horrifying), I don't really mind any mods.

Though you won't see me putting slotmags on MY Minors. :lol: :lol: Maybe the furry dice.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

charlie_morris_minor wrote:
d_harris wrote:Near enough 2 hours each way on a boring dual carriageway requires some decent music. I've got led zep going at the mo :D
led zepplin .. and when that cd has finished you can get back to the decent music :wink:
Went for Dropkick Murphys and the Wildhearts this morning 8)

as for wheels the only ones I think looks "original" by which I mean they could have been a factory option are the minilites. Slogmags look good on a very shiny car, but the pressed steels look best (and you can get wide ones, either van ones or Minor Development did a load)

Nuffles
Minor Fan

Post by Nuffles »

I want slot mags SO BADLY for mine - either them or black modular steels.

A stereo was the first thing I put in mine. An amp and sub shortly followed. Nothing mind blowing, just an 80W 8" sub in a decent enclosure and a half decent amp to drive it. Rear seatbelts are going in as soon as I have an afternoon free enough to do so. Dad and I are hoping to respray it at some point in the summer as the paintwork is terrible at the moment. It also needs an engine rebuild and bigger carb/better air filter while I'm at it. MOT soon though so I need to get the horn working first :oops:
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Why would you want to fit a bigger carb? Unless your engine is significantly modified it will only work less efficiently than the correct carb...

Nothing wrong with fitting a better air cleaner though...except there might be a bit more induction noise, but then with 80W of noise you shouldn't notice!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
Nuffles
Minor Fan

Post by Nuffles »

I though it was a pretty common mod to stick something like an HS4 in to improve performance slightly. It's basic physics that if you can get more air and petrol into the engine you'll get more power. It's obviously not going to give it blistering acceleration but a little extra grunt would be VERY helpful for overtaking attempts.
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Yes, if the engine can suck in more air and fuel...

But that's the point, the HS2 already has spare capacity, it's the engine that sucks the fuel and air in. The carb doesn't restrict performance until it cannot supply enough fuel and air for the demand of the engine.

Fitting a bigger carb is like fitting a bigger fuel pump, it will service a higher demand, but without the higher demand will not provide any benefit.

To increase power you need to improve airflow into, through and out of the engine. The first place to start is usually the cylinder head, then the exhaust and camshaft. After that the list is endless and of course includes carburetters!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If it's a 1098 engine - the HS2 definitely does NOT have 'spare capacity' - Leyland upped the power of the 998 Mini engine by simply fitting the larger 1.5" carb - it is even more beneficial on the 1098. Would expect slight improvement on a 948 too, although nothing to get too excited about! Even more benefit (~3 bhp) if you also eliminate the mad exhaust 'hot spot' in the inlet manifold.
ImageImage
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

finally something we agree on! :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

:roll:
ImageImage
ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

WHAT FRONT MODERN SEATS COME IN GREEN?

Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

The issue really is getting modern seats to fit. Thats what really takes the work, fitting runners on a sloping floor and getting a seat that folds. I cant think of any off the top of my head, some old jags had pale green i think? It is possible to get leather dye to colour some, so you could start with cream seats?
___Anne___

marcusthemoose
Minor Fan

Post by marcusthemoose »

remove your hub caps, on a set of white or black powder coated wheels. this gives the car a historic race car look, similar to something you see at goodwood revival.

you don't need seatbelts, but i would advise them if you intend on taking your friends in the car- it worries me silly taking other people out in my car when they haven't got a seatbelt on. especially when they excercise there unrestricted movement.

fluffy dice off the mirror don't hurt, and look old school.

i did have insulation tape crosses on the light lenses for a very short time. they reduce the light you get and are apparently illegal- either way i removed them to avoid unnecessary attention from the constabulary.

don't forget the go faster retro stickers in the back window- i have a clay smith cams, speedwell, and a BMC special tuning rosette, hopefully more to follow.