Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jmaster78
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

converting pcd

Post by jmaster78 »

hi all, how would i go about converting the minor hubs to 100 pcd. (my front arches are 2" wider and the rear are 2.5" so standard wheels are lost in them.) i think this is the closest to the original and was wondering if there was much work involved in removing the studs, drilling the holes out and fitting stronger studs at 100 pcd, would this be a safe way of opening up my alloy options? cheers

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: converting pcd

Post by bmcecosse »

It needs to be done properly - by precision engineers. It's MUCH easier to simply buy wheels designed for 4" pcd on the Minor. JLH often have some good offers....... Alternatively - fit a Marina/Triumph axle and Marina/Triumph discs - and have 3.75" PCD which then takes MGF wheels nicely. Or - fit a Ford axle and a Ford based disc kit, and use Ford etc wheels....!
ImageImage
jmaster78
Minor Friendly

Post by jmaster78 »

i have a friend who is an engineer with his own outfit, he has a pretty good milling machine, laith and everything else you'd expect to find in a decent workshop, and has done some serious precision work in his time, i reakon he could mill out the holes no problem, but can you get stronger studs and do they simply hammer in? cheers

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Well the minor ones are tapped in, would imagine others use a similar method. The holes are splined in the minors case so others may be also. Best decide on wheels first to see the type of studs needed, then rework the pcd to suit. As Roy says, Its a precision job.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And there is precious little metal there to do the job......... The brake drums and half shafts also need doing - so it becomes quite a job...... I'm not saying it's not possible to do it - but it's really really not 'cost effective' .
ImageImage
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

I stand to be corrected but i believe the ford disc setup retains the Minor PCD and does not use the ford PCD, this might be old info though and could be worth a few phone calls.

As les says the minor ones tap in.. only after you take the same size ones out.. the correct way to change the studs is apparently is to "pull" the studs through using a nut as opposed to pushing them through, obviously if you are replacing like with like you will not need to "cut" the new splines in to the hub so you can simply knock them in.

Not sure that the drums will need modifying as a change from 4 inch to 100 is not that great and i seem to recall that there is a bit of slack around the stud holes in the drums anyway.. but that might be negated by a change in stud size anyway.

I would have thought the change to 100 PCD would be cheaper than change of axle etc and would certainly give you a greater range of alloy wheels than sticking with the 4 inch..
Last edited by charlie_morris_minor on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

charlie_morris_minor wrote:I stand to be corrected but i believe the ford disc setup retains the Minor PCD and does not use the ford PCD, this might be old info though and could be worth a few phone calls.
Jlh do the ford based kit in both minor or ford pcd.
___Anne___

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

thanks for the correction