Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mr Don
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Realy Slow wipers

Post by Mr Don »

Just recently, with the really cold weather the wipers on our 68 moggy have gone really slow.
It is not the motor which is fine rather I think the grease lubricate in the guide track has gone very turgid and stiff.
I have cleaned and relubed the gearbox on the wiper motor which has improved the problem in part.

What is the best way to clean and lube the cross head and rack in it's guide tube?

Can the rack be easily removed and replaced via the engine compartment, or do I need to remove and service the wipe wheel boxes.

"She who must be obeyed" uses our moggy as her everyday car. So I must get it right quickly if posssible. Is this a time consuming fix?
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Re: Realy Slow wipers

Post by Fingolfin »

Not terrifically time-consuming, but moreso than many other jobs. You'll need to withdraw the wheelboxes, because they've got the majority of the grease in them (external to the motor). The cable itself can be withdrawn from the engine bay or through the dash -- release it from the motor pinion, take off the back covers of the wheelboxes (need to take out the gloveboxes), whip off the cable shrouds, and pull out the cable.
The wheelboxes come out easily, after taking off the wipers and undoing the chrome nut; clean them of the old grease and put some new in, spin it around a few times, and you're good to go. The cable, of course, is the same way -- clean off the old grease and smear new on. Clean the insides of the shrouds too -- they'll get enough grease from the cable.
The hardest part, I found, is getting the cable to sit properly in the wheelboxes when reassembling.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

robedney
Minor Fan

Post by robedney »

The cable is also coated with grease over the length of it inside the housing. First, you should probably pull the cable. It's easy enough to do -- remove the top of the gearbox and it should be obvious how to disconnect it from the slider. You'll need to remove the wiper arms so the drive gears can spin freely, then just slowly pull the cable all the way you. Give it a good bath with solvent. The drive gears for the wipers are located up under the dash, and you don't necessarily need to remove them. Once you've got the cable out you can spin these by hand and get a sense of how they're working -- if they're doing OK you can leave them alone. I would spray some WD40 around the gears and as far into the cable housing as you can get (this will be messy). Now grab a handful of fresh grease and coat the cable as you slide it back into the housing. You might have to help it along once it reaches the first drive gear by rotating the shaft, then ditto with the second shaft. Now button it all up, put the arms and blades back on and see what you've got.

A couple of things: You can adjust the pressure of the blades on the glass by bending the arms. You want just enough pressure to wipe the glass clean and stay put at top speed -- but no more than that. Too much pressure will slow the wipers down, particularly when the glass isn't really wet. Secondly, make sure all the wiring is good and the connections to the motor are clean and tight -- it doesn't take much to slow down a moggie wiper motor. Lastly, make sure that the grease you've packed the gearbox with does well in the cold weather. You want something that stays viscous when the thermometer drops.

Looks like Fingolfin and I posted simultaneously!
1967 2 door coupe, "Mildred"
Transportation with economy, whimsy and heart.
robedney
Minor Fan

Post by robedney »

Another quick tip -- hand for all sorts of things: Make up a couple of test leads with spade connectors on the end. Now, pull the connections at the wiper motor, and using the leads connect the wiper motor directly to the batter, ground included. Keep the glass wet with a spray bottle and see what happens. This will quickly let you know if there's excessive resistance anywhere in the wiring leading to the wiper motor (which runs around a fair amount through the harness, switch, etc.).
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Very often -it simply needs some light oil dribbled down the spindle where it enters the wheelbox...worth trying before getting in to anything deeper!
ImageImage
Mr Don
Minor Friendly

Post by Mr Don »

As always great advice. :D Thanks guys.
I will try some 3in1 down the spindles and if this does not help then pull the cable.
Apart from the stuff I found in the wiper motor gear box, I am fairley sure the grease is no longer functional as a lube. Apart from the recent unseasonal cold (-10C the other day and not been zero in the day since) the grease is 44 years old.

The other day I had issues starting my modern car, but our Moggy thought nothing of it roared into life. But when Sam (my good lady) needed the window wipers they were suffering. So in the interests of safety I must attend to them soon. It is just a bit cold to be doing this stuff outside.
robedney
Minor Fan

Post by robedney »

You know, BMC can be a real killjoy. Here we had you all set up for an hour or two out in the freezing cold and he comes along with a rational quick fix. He's right, of course -- if you can get enough oil in there to thin out the old grease it may work for another 45 years.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's all right for you -sitting there in lovely Californian sunshine.......we have to struggle in miserable sub zero for several months each year........ :wink: :cry:
ImageImage
robedney
Minor Fan

Post by robedney »

Yup, it's about 60 (Fahrenheit) and sunny today. Not a lot of rain so far this year. Driving to work every day in Mildred for the past month or so, and I think maybe I've put a total of an hour or so on her wipers. I did have to fire up the pellet stove on the boat last night to take the chill off. You are all welcomed to come over -- I'll personally vouch for you at the border. Bring your moggies! :D
Mr Don
Minor Friendly

Post by Mr Don »

Although limited by time and the weather will make me look at the quick fix for now. Come Summer I will strip the whole thing and go for a proper fix. But although sun and heat are great for humans, 1098 carb engines work at their very best in sub zero temperatures, shame our carilfornian brothers and sisters never experience this. Shame. 8) Mind you you do have to freeze your bolts off to enjoy this pleasure :wink:
robedney
Minor Fan

Post by robedney »

Try a little penetrating oil and heat on those frozen bolts :D
Mr Don
Minor Friendly

Post by Mr Don »

Okay, Work Done.
Striped the whole thing down.
Not too difficult. Found the root of the problems. Firstly water ingress via seal broken on drivers side wheel box, resulting in rusted and stiff wheel box. Secondly grease in the first 10" of trunking gone very stiff. Cleaned everything with parrafin, greased it all up. Jobs a good un, "She who must be obeyed" will be pleased. I will replace the wheel box in time through. Then it will be good for another 44 years.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

[/quote] You are all welcomed to come over -- I'll personally vouch for you at the border. Bring your moggies! :D[/quote]

I'll be over in July, don't think I can get the Minor on as excess baggage
[sig]3580[/sig]
robedney
Minor Fan

Post by robedney »

Sure you can. Do it in pieces. I'll meet you at the airport and will put it back together. You won't even need to rent a car!