Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
boydogs
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

rear windscreen removal

Post by boydogs »

1958 2door saloon,a lot of damage inside of car due to leaking windscreen, i removed the narrow shaped panel from under the glass, which was rotten, behind this i saw a self tapping screw at each side with a piece of wire tightly attatched, the rubber seal neads changing as hard and slightly perrished, where to get a new seal from and sequence of refitting glass as i havn`t seen the wire type before. boydogs
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Re: rear windscreen removal

Post by aupickup »

the wire maybe the headlining tension wire
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Indeed the wire is the headlining tensioning wire. Wire, new clips, rubber seals, rear window all available from Morris suppliers, ESM, Bull Motif or Tom Roy to name but a few.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Changing the rear screen is not an easy task....... You need warm weather, sun shining on the rubber - and a good helping hand or two.............
ImageImage
John159
Minor Friendly

Post by John159 »

The front and back screed rubber seals in my 1970 morris saloon are cracked and when examining slightly blistering paint from the wiper points towards the sides and underneath the cover finish of the parcel shelf I noticed a lot of rust developing. Have concluded that this was caused by water leaking in through the cracks in the rubber. Would this conclusion be correct?

I have read the various posts on the rear screed changing issue and watched the utube which used the blue MM as the 'victim.
Following on from this , I would like to make the following points and hopefully someone will respond to them.

(1) is the rubber supposed to be sufficiently tight fitting so that it is not necessary to use any sealant or whatever ?

(2)if the use of a sealant was desirable to support the physical contact between the rubber and steel edge ,then what might be recommended- keeping in mind that some chemicals can react badly with rubber and render the rubber less effective.

(3) how do you go about removing the screed with the old rubber in the first place. For example, is it best to bring it into the car or push it out the back? XThe last thing one wants is for the screed to break.

(4) is there need to use a sealant between the rubber and the glass or is the physical contact between them sufficient?

(5) I have a tub of Silicone Grease by Bardahl and would that be ok to use re 2 and 4 above. I use this grease to lubricate the bearings of washing machines because it may come in contact with the rubber seals - grease said to be rubber friendly. I understand that Vaseline is not good to use on rubber.
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

I did a rear screen recently. To answer your questions,

1. Sealant should be used as well as a new rubber.

2 I used ordinary black mastic from Screwfix, applied with a mastic gun. I hope this is ok, I hadn't considered chemical reactions.

3 To remove the screen without straining it cut away around the old rubber with a craft knife.

4. I sealed both the rubber to glass and rubber to metal.

5. Can't advise on silicon grease, I've never used it.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No grease! Proper rubber sealant - maybe ask at Autoglass if they have something? Hot day - sun on the car. Yes - cut away the old rubbers.
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

I replaced the rear screen rubber last year after some repairs and used this product, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arbomast-Auto ... 1925903765
Seems to have worked ok.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Agree with using that sealant, Ive just used it on a split screen and its great stuff, it spreads quite well so you dont need masses of it and the excess cleans off easily unlike some other sealants Ive used before. I bought it direct from the manufacturers, 2 tubes delivered was just over £10.

http://www.dortechdirect.co.uk/window-i ... grade.html

While you are at the front I would seal the wiper as well, gasket are available but they are pretty easily made.

Too many Minors so little time.....