Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
estepona1999
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

replacement engine/dvla

Post by estepona1999 »

Can anyone advise me how I go about changing the engine details with the dvla? I bought a replacement engine from a club member some months ago.My problem is that if I write to the dvla to request the change is made from 948 cc to 1098 cc I am sure I have read that the dvla will not send me my V5 back with the engine details amended unless I have proof of where the engine came from.Help please !!
crossword
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: replacement engine/dvla

Post by crossword »

I would suggest either a photograph or a pencil rubbing onto paper of the engine number ( if present ) be included with your notification . I was in a similar position having bought a MGB who's engine number was different to that on the V5 . I think I phoned DVLA & that was the suggestion . Very shortly after the car came off the road for an engine rebuild . DVLA logic seems slightly odd in that they are wanting to check if the engine could be stolen . Why would someone notify them if they had fitted an engine that was known to be stolen . No offence to you intended .
Lastly ring DVLA & ask for their advice having explained the position you are in & if appropriate my suggestion above .

Regards Andrew .
There is some info on DVLA website , sorry I cannot put a link to it . The document talks about " evidence " needed to be provided .
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

From experience they arn't generally worried about evidence from pre '72 vehicles. Its later ones they worry about!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

I recently went from 1300 back to 950. Documents came back all ok.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The problem mentioned above was indeed the case for a while - but has all settled down now. Or - just don't tell them! You don't need to have an engine number at all! It matters not a jot......Simply remove the engine number tag from the new engine. Probably more important to tell your insurance co about the capacity increase - although I doubt they will change your premiums.
ImageImage
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Last year I was going to re-barrel a scooter from 125cc to 149cc. The cylinder bore on Vespas and many other bikes simply bolts off. So the main engine stays the same but when I sent the V5 in for the change they responded that they needed the change done by 'proper' garage or the change confirmed safe in writing by a proper garage. So, no change of engine, no change of taxation class but still I'm not trusted to do it myself.

My rant aside you might find that you are also asked for the same thing.
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Photocopy anything you need to send to Swansea!
:roll:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh dear -based on 'dp' story above, DVLA are still 'at it' then.... In which case my advice is to do nothing - just remove the engine number tag!
ImageImage
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

When I have done it... I have got a friend with a garage to give me their letter head and I write a letter :lol:
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Nothing like a bit of honest fraud.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

No Fraud... they inspect the vehicle, I write the letter for them and they sign it :P