Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PAULJ
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Tax ??

Post by PAULJ »

Hi all, Ive just been reading about the tax disc changes coming in to force at the end of October. £1000 fine for not taxing your vehicle. No tax disc to display. No mention of historic vehicles. Does anyone know exactly how this will work. Im guessing you do exactly the same as you do now but don't put a disc in the window ??
Any Ideas
Cheers
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Re: Tax ??

Post by Trickydicky »

It will all be managed electronically, just like now when you get your reminder, you can pay online in full or by direct debit, ( except we don't pay) :D You just won't get a paper disc, a full explanation is here. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just use a Guinness bottle lable as I gather was sometimes done in the 'good old days'... :)
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Quite a good article in todays Daily Telegraph titled:

"Drivers At Risk Of Fines In Confusion Over End Of The Tax Disc".

General gist of the article is that the Government had failed to provide adequate information on the reforms causing confusion among motorists and car dealers.
According to a poll published yesterday more than half of car drivers are unaware of the intended changes.

DVA rely was that "there was information on line and good coverage on social media".

Alright then if you have a computer and are into social media.

Not got the car taxed can result in a fine up to £1000.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

First I knew about it was when I read this posting. Can I display my 1952 tax disc?
The local plod on the beat does not need to walk along the pavement looking at tax discs, its all on computer
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You can display as many tax discs as you like - as long as you don't obscure the windscreen...
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Up until the change over date you still need to display a current tax disc.
After the change over date watch this space :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

But - how do I claim a refund (obviously not a Minor) - with no tax disc to send them?
ImageImage
PAULJ
Minor Fan

Post by PAULJ »

They should get rid of SORN. A complete waist of time and paper. I scraped a car a couple of years ago and cashed the tax disc. I missed the small line and box that said " tick the box if you are SORN this vehicle". Six weeks later a £60 fine.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you scrapped it - you should have told them and sent in the docs...... But I'm not sure WE are allowed to 'scrap' cars now - I suspect it has to be done through a 'licenced' facility... :roll:
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As regards the tax and refunds - when the DVA is notified , vehicle sellers will get for an automatic refund for any full calendar months left on the vehicle tax.
Regarding the scrapping of motor vehicles see www.gov.uk/scrapped-and-written-off-vehicles/overview.
All end of life vehicles have to be disposed of via a Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF).
But what is required as regards those motor vehicles not currently on the DVLA registration list and are scatted far and wide throughout the country and are eventually broken up for spares or scrap?
A while back there was a proposal put forward to tax ALL vehicles (which would have meant insurance) even if they were not on the road. Thankfully that came to nothing.

The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

Another idiotic scheme thought out by mindless drones sitting of tons of blubber quaffing brandy and smoking cigars.

Al
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Will save millions apparently, so why not? ---and trees need all the help they can get. Apparently if you sell a car with tax remaining you get an automatic refund, rather than it being transferred along with the car. So the new owner will need to tax it him/herself before driving off. This will help reduce the number of '' mindless drones''

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I quite enjoy my brandy and cigars! :lol:
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I had a chuckle this morning - apparently DVLA have run out of tax discs (due to the running down of stocks before withdrawal) and are now issuing regular paper tax discs and minus the perforations so drivers have to cut out their own disc.
DVLA have apparently notified the Police and other enforcement agencies of the non standard tax discs :roll:
Beats issuing Guinness labels. :D

alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

This can only be a good thing in the long run. You still get your reminder through the post, so no chance of forgetting to renew. Everything else (MOT, insurance, SORN or not) is recorded on a database/s by the DVLA now, so there is no need for paper.

It will also avoid car dealers cashing in your remaining tax when you trade a car in. The tax you will pay come October is effectively in your name and not the cars.
Glad to be back!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Should be plenty of special offers on tax disc holders
Still can't get my period suction holder to stick to the screen for more than two minutes
[sig]3580[/sig]
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

I heard an interesting point raised on this on Radio 2 the other day.

The fact that with the new rules, tax doesn't follow the car when you sell it (as has been mentioned already) you get a refund for each full month remaining.

So if you sell a car mid-month, you lose out on half a months tax.

Person buys said car mid-month, and they can't buy half a months tax, so they have to buy a whole months tax.

DVLA get 1 months extra tax paid for every car sold.

Number of second hand cars sold x average months tax = LOTS

Ker-ching.
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

Always trade in on the last day of the month then :) ANyway, I'm sure any extra tax raised will go towards fixing potholes....
Glad to be back!
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Just paid to tax Wifey's car for 1st October - and the system says that there will be no disc to display.

As regards tax disc being cancelled as soon as the car is sold - this has been massively underpublished!
Try reading any car adverts in ~3 weeks time - the majority will say how much tax is left (although the new owner will get none of it). I expect way too many people will get caught by the confusion, but it should settle down when everyone's been through the loop at least once..

Despite the poor info to the 43 million UK drivers... the new system WAS intended there to help us all.
Certain parts of the population see car insurance as just something that's too expensive.
One way to avoid it was to buy a car that's got 12 months road tax - that way plod wouldn't be any the wiser when they saw it parked up in front of 'anywhere' (I was going to say in front of cash converters et al, but then realised that they're not the only place to sell burgled goods...).

Static ANPR cameras are good at catching honest people who make a mistake, but if the car is deliberately registered in a way that makes it hard to find the actual keeper, then plod needs to catch someone at the wheel (which usually means driving).

As plod is only a 30 second call (or app) away from finding out if the car is legit on the 3 databases (Insurance, MOT & Tax), then the benefit of buying a fully taxed car (displaying a disc) is greatly reduced.

Therefore the pre-printed tax disk "on display" isn't nearly as helpful as it was, and a new system where each keeper needs to tax the car (and therefore prove their insurance) is probably a better way - except that law abiding people who buy a car now have one more hoop to jump through.

Personally - I can cope with the idea of taxing a car when I've bought it. Alternative systems, such as the German one, where you have to re-register the car immediately after purchase and get new reg plates made... is far more scary!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(