Any tips for waterproofing our Hood with Fabsil Gold ?

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Any tips for waterproofing our Hood with Fabsil Gold ?

Post by Stuartandsue »

He we have bought a tin of Fabsil Gold after the last owner said that's what he had used previously on the hood..

Its a Maroon "Mohair? " type hood material.

We have bought the brush on type so as to avoid overspray etc..

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on using the product or what to avoid..

My thoughts are that we were going to first put the hood down, cover the car in a polythene dust cover sheet (as used by decorators) to keep the Fabsil Gold off the paint then I was thinking put the hood back up and paint it on with a brush and use the whole 1 litre tin...

I am presuming we should pay extra attention to areas like seams and joints and give them extra coats ?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Any tips for waterproofing our Hood with Fabsil Gold ?

Post by bmcecosse »

Will it not the crack at the folds when you fold it? I would just use one of the fabric 'waterproofers' sold in Outdoor type shops to re-proof jackets and so on - spray on. Best bet of course is just not to get it wet in the first place.....
ImageImage
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

bmcecosse wrote: I would just use one of the fabric 'waterproofers' sold in Outdoor type shops to re-proof jackets and so on
That's what Fabsil is Roy!

If you do a Google search you will find lots of advice on applying this to a car roof but basically you need to ensure that the roof is clean and dry first then just paint on. Some recommend more than one coat, but I guess it depends on what condition your roof is in and how long ago it was last treated.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I would have thought 'painting' would be too thick -and too 'hit and miss' - spray seems easier to me.. and more likely to give a more even coverage. My Q would be - should it also be applied (sprayed) on the inside of the hood?
ImageImage
NIkki@Grangers

Post by NIkki@Grangers »

Hi, I actually work for the company that makes Fabsil, so hopefully I can give you some advice!

1) You shouldn't need to go to too much trouble to avoid dripping Fabsil on the paintwork etc - it will wash off!
2) Painting with a brush is a fine way to apply the product - definitely pay more attention to seams and joints to make sure they're fully treated.
3) You can spray it on, and it'll work equally as well - provided you get the same amount of coverage. It's easy to over-think this (I know I have in the past), but just make sure you give it all a good coat and it'll be fine - the fabric should darken as you apply it, so you'll know where you've been!
4) There's no need to apply or spray it on to the inside of the hood/roof.

Hopefully that all helps! It should be as easy as making sure the hood is dry, painting it on, leaving it for a few hours (making sure it doesn't get wet in this time!) and then testing to see if it works with a small amount of water!

If you need any more advice, drop me an email at nikkij(at)grangers.co.uk :)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Great information -well done for finding us and sharing.
ImageImage
Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

NIkki@Grangers wrote:Hi, I actually work for the company that makes Fabsil, so hopefully I can give you some advice!

1) You shouldn't need to go to too much trouble to avoid dripping Fabsil on the paintwork etc - it will wash off!
2) Painting with a brush is a fine way to apply the product - definitely pay more attention to seams and joints to make sure they're fully treated.
3) You can spray it on, and it'll work equally as well - provided you get the same amount of coverage. It's easy to over-think this (I know I have in the past), but just make sure you give it all a good coat and it'll be fine - the fabric should darken as you apply it, so you'll know where you've been!
4) There's no need to apply or spray it on to the inside of the hood/roof.

Hopefully that all helps! It should be as easy as making sure the hood is dry, painting it on, leaving it for a few hours (making sure it doesn't get wet in this time!) and then testing to see if it works with a small amount of water!

If you need any more advice, drop me an email at nikkij(at)grangers.co.uk :)
That's great thank you, to be honest that's what the previous owner said and he said Fabsil Gold was the best he had used on roofs, he said he had tried lots of other products with mixed results but that was the best for the type of roof we have... also reading reviews on websites it looks biz for our roof...I always like other opinions though..

Our roof cloth and frame has been replaced and it was last done with the gold in May so it probably doesn't really need doing but for the price of a 1l tin and an hours work I thought its worth doing it just for peace of mind.