Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Vernon
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Windscreen washer problem

Post by Vernon »

About 1 week ago I was checking everything prior to booking an MOT test and I found that the windscreen washer was not working. I have since replaced the manual pump, the tubing and the non-return valve but still cannot get the washer to work.
If I suck water up via the tube which goes from the pump to the T-piece and then reconnect the tube I can get water to the screen but only until the pump is empty. The water appears to be draining back into the bottle in spite of fitting a new non-return valve. The manual pump does not have any indication to say which port is In and which is Out - does it matter which way the tubing is connected? Could the new non-return valve be the cause of the problem? I just need to get it working for the MOT test. Any advice will be most welcome.
Colin
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Windscreen washer problem

Post by simmitc »

Most pumps work in only one direction. Disconnect the NRV from the end of the pipe and just put the plain tube into the water. Operate the pump. Do you see bubbles coming from the pipe? If yes, then you're pumping air into the bottle so reverse the pump connections and try again. Also use a pin to clear the jets - try blowing down the tube to make sure that there is no obstruction.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Windscreen washer problem

Post by bmcecosse »

Sure the jets are not blocked ? It's a very simple thing - the ' pump ' is just a rubber balloon - connections either way. Sometimes if not used for a while the little filter on the pick up pipe can grow a 'fuzz' over it - wash it carefully - it's Legionella... I wouldn't be 'sucking' any part of it....... :o
ImageImage