Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Remove steering wheel

Post by dudload »

I'm looking to replace the pipes from heater to window vents today as they have broken down, but to get at the driver side one I need to remove the steering wheel. Now I've already got hold of the massive socket to remove the wheel, but what is the best/correct way to remove horn assembly?

Should I disconnect the battery and do I lever under the rubber surround on the steering wheel? Don't want to break anything
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Remove steering wheel

Post by les »

Unless there is another reason to remove the steering wheel, I'm sure you don't need to for pipe replacement.

dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

I can't seem to get the parcel shelf lining out as the wheel is in the way. Can't get anywhere near the pipe behind without shelf out...
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

Having a bit of a mare as I've got the horn push off, but Tue socket I borrowed isn't deep enough to get to the nut. I also don't have a chisel narrow enough to fit in the blooming gap - looks like a job for next weekend after I order a deep socket from eBay!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I've managed to get the glove box out through the steering wheel, in the past, it will collapse to a degree, if not it might be worth trying to move it around a bit before getting in too deep.

dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

Thanks les, eventually managed to get the blighter through the steering wheel after much huffing and puffing. Now have lovely air coming out the front vents!