Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GPO_Van
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Poor quality parts

Post by GPO_Van »

Picture of my new heater valve and radiator hose, fitted 2 years ago, 5 year antifreeze in engine, car not on the road yet, just moved around on the drive.
They should not be in this condition already, if any one has these items fitted for 5 years or more and they are ok, please let me know where they where bought and I'll buy replacements from them.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Poor quality parts

Post by simmitc »

You've identified part of your problem: 5 year antifreeze. Use only traditional genuine Bluecol, not the modern variants. That doesn;t excuse poor quality, but I have seen heater valves decay with modern A/F and last with Bluecol - I ran a specific test to prove this point. The kevlar hoses are pure rubbish, look for silicone instead. As I say, no excuse for the poor quality, just some lessons learned from experience that might benefit opthers.
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

you could change the heater tap to the screw type.
made of brass and will last...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-MIDGET-AUS ... SwT5tWHh2u
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I've just had some parts re manufactured in Ali and was amazed at the choices in material spec. I ended up using a Marine-suitable one that is designed to survive life on the ocean rather than the more common recycled milk bottle tops found in the far east.

Some parts are cheap for a good reason.
Cardiff, UK
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

you can get rubber hoses still avoid the kevelar , there is also a firm called silicone hoses that do kits for most cars in black for a decent price .
[sig]5641[/sig]
GPO_Van
Minor Fan

Post by GPO_Van »

Thanks for your replies, I have discovered another problem that might be related?
See topic "strange crystalline substance building up in engine"
Thanks again
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Aluminium is amphoteric - ther term used for an element that will dissolve/react in either acidic or alkaline conditions. Usually a layer of oxide passivates the surface, but if that is not there (and the metal does not contain suitable alloying elements, to alter the reactivity) it can dissolve away, often forming the aluminium hydroxide deposits as you have evidenced in your other thread.
GPO_Van
Minor Fan

Post by GPO_Van »

Hi Oliver90owner
How can I stop it? can those parts be coated with anything? Will increasing the amount of coolant corrosion inhibiter help?
Thanks
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Use the correct AF :roll:
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

I did ask you if the car had been standing for any length of time but not had an answer to the question :roll: . This problem is usually caused by standing and no anti-freeze. As above only use blue AF and at least 30%, 50% would be better and it should be changed every two years. One coating if you want to go that route would be to dip the whole housing in boat varnish but make sure it is cured before fitting but if the car is being used fairly often there will be no need.

GPO_Van
Minor Fan

Post by GPO_Van »

My Traveller has been standing for 2 years since I rebuilt the engine, I just start it occasionally and move it up and down the drive (I have just a few bits of weld to finish but the person who I was introduced to, to do it has been ill with cancer, but is now in remission and we have just started the work again)
The AF is a blue ethylene glycol, and says it is ok with Ali.
Again, thanks for all your replies.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

If you just start it occasionally let it run till the coolant gets hot enough to open the thermostat and circulate round the system before turning it off again and that should stop the build up hopefully.

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

There is always a possibility of erosion by electrochemical reactions. The electrochemical series simply dictates which metal is dissolved when in contact with a different metal. Think here large water tanks, boats, etc which are fitted with what are termed as 'sacrificial anodes'. These dissolve away and require replacement at regular intervals. There is always a potential difference wherever two different metals are in contact.

That is how thermocouples work; add an electrolyte and there will be a current involved. Surface coatings, passivated surfaces and other means are used to minimise the effects if sacrificial blocks are not used. Antifreeze with appropriate additives/inhibitors are about the only user-defense with these Iow quality castings, in particular. Do note that special antifreezes are available for 'mixed metal' engines (aluminium alloy heads and cast iron blocks, per eg). There is good reason for that!
GPO_Van
Minor Fan

Post by GPO_Van »

I am well versed in the affects of stray currents from dissimilar metals in a liquid (My narrow boat and its anodes) also the increase in corrosion in our cars when in industrial areas (chemicals) and near the sea (salt), also parking under high voltage cables inducing currents, hence I have run an extra earthling wire to all body mounted components to the battery earth.
But all this extra knowledge aside, I would not have expected this amount of corrosion in new parts, specially as I have the correct vintage vehicle AF
I suppose from the helpful comments here that corrosion to poor parts is increased by lack of use, so I will run the engine every couple of days till the end of the month then she will be off SORN and on the road straight into the winter salty roads, arhg sh*t, :cry: I'll add regular hosing to my winter schedule :lol: .
Thanks all
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Crikey..bet your Cheshire roads get lots of salt since you're next to the mines!
GPO_Van
Minor Fan

Post by GPO_Van »

Steveclem, lots of Roman salt mine names i.e. Middlewich. any name ending in wich, Roman for salt mind
Reg
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

An old thread, but worth discussing

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... re-to-buy/

Poor quality rubber components are a pain in the so and so for mini owners too it seems. Interestingly a supplier has joined in the discussion to explain and to also explore their concerns.

Shame the MMOC forum doesn't have a major supplier as a poster to do the same with our concerns. Or does it???

Interesting all the same. To see the photo's of the components you will have to register and log into the mini forum.

Our old friend BMC (Roy) was also a poster on their too.

edit - http://www.delphicat.com/WebForms/frmDe ... 9720601334

the Delphi online catalogue...
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

Pucketsport
Minor Friendly

Post by Pucketsport »

I have spent hundreds of GBP on parts from Moss and Bull Motif and have encountered numerous issues relating to poor quality. In particular I would like to warn prospective customers of the following parts. Convoluted rubber radiator hoses ( Mine cracked before I even filled the system with coolant). The wiper wheel-boxes have a rubber seal, same story cracked and fell apart and the car hasn't even been out the garage. Parts are about 1 year old. I work for a large Auto manufacturer and I can assure you that if we put parts like this on our cars there would be a recall. There seems to be no accountability for these aftermarket " replica" parts.
Attachments
IMG_2984.JPG
IMG_2984.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 2980 times
IMG_2978.JPG
IMG_2978.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 2980 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

One reason to inspect your car periodically. I thought it was a poor show when my hoses failed after about 7 years, but one year is terrible. :(
Kztom

Post by Kztom »

I have always gone to the local hose supplier 'mend a hose' and had something matched up, rather than buy repro hoses.

I haven't had much issues with other spares though, although about 5 years ago I did lose all braking when the master cylinder kit I fit that day failed..