Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GPO_Van
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Strange crystalline substance in coolant

Post by GPO_Van »

Hi, has anyone seen this before, a strange crystalline substance building up in the engine.
I have had the radiator re cored and had anti freeze in, could this relate to my previous topic on poor quality parts disintegrating.
Thanks for reading
Reg[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
amgrave
Minor Addict

Re: Strange crystalline substance in coolant

Post by amgrave »

Has the car been standing for any length of time. I have seen this before, it is a reaction from the water on the aluminium casting of the thermostat housing (poor quality ones of course) and normally a strong solution of proper anti-freeze stops it forming along with the circulating coolant.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Likewise I have only come across this in cars which haven't been run for a while. As far as I know it doesn't build up in the rest of the cooling system but it won't do any harm to flush it out.

I have had it on cars with the factory alloy castings so it applies to any car.
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

Mine had stood for a few years and had exactly the some stuff in the thermostat housing , so much that the housing had corroded away under the rubber pipe . A good flush and all ok

GPO_Van
Minor Fan

Post by GPO_Van »

My Traveller has been standing for 2 years since I rebuilt the engine, I just start it occasionally and move it up and down the drive (I have just a few bits of weld to finish but the person who I was introduced to, to do it has been ill with cancer, but is now in remission and we have just started the work again)
The AF is a blue ethylene glycol, and says it is ok with Ali.
Thanks for all your replies.