Finnegans Number 1 Primer & Jenolite online stockists?

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Finnegans Number 1 Primer & Jenolite online stockists?

Post by Chief »

Okay, now the latest club magazine for stone chips reccomended jenolite and Finnegans. However the local garage here couldnt get hold of any as they (and their suppliers) had never heard of the stuff :D So im limited to online suppliers, now jenolite I found online (is there anything bigger than 500ml bottles?) but Finnegans just came up with Irish songs or nothing at all when I told it to do an exact search :D so does anyone know of any online stockists for it or will I need to ask if one of the minor centres can sell me some :) Or is there a primer thats better than Finnegans (I plan to do quite alot of priming and painting and it would be good if I could get spray paint) all this depends on whether the Easter holiday thats starting this weekend for two weeks will actually be dry :)
Thanks 8)
SR
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by SR »

ello chief, i paid £10 for a litre of jenolite last wek at my local store,keep searching web i suppose mate,steve
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1070767
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I've seen them both at local motor factors, so just keep looking.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well I found this 1st time
http://www.mgocaccessories.co.uk/acatal ... t_165.html

It might be easier to try your local Partco or similar, and maybe they had not heard of it because its a Hammerite product, I think Halfrauds also sell it.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

ah- I had no idea that Finnegans was a Hammerite product :D So i've been looking for a company called Finnegans who make primer :oops: (and ignoring all references to Hammerite products :P )
This explains why I never found anything (though I did find the Jenolite at about £22 incl. p&p and vat). oh well I live and learn :lol:
Btw does Hammerite dip rust remover remove it to bare metal or is it just a convertor (if so why have Hammerite kurust?) and which is best/safest jenolite, kurust or dip rust remover?:)
SR
Minor Addict

Post by SR »

my votes for jenolite bruv ,been using it for over ten yuears now ,also read on websearch ,MOD use it
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Id have thought they'd (MOD) have used Jenoseel which from sites on the net appears to be a kind of heavy duty type made by the same people (Shell according to what I read) which was used on the ex-royal yaucht britannia :D
I guess Jenolite will be alright- im hoping that ill be able to get most rust off and down to nice bare metal- then a coat of jenloite just to make sure I get all the rust (im taking no chances) then primer then paint, and hope it dries fully this time :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I also like Jenolite but have had trouble getting the 'gel' sort. So I tried hammerite dip, I think, well it was the one that uses water to dilute at 9 to 1, I couldn't believe how well it worked when immersing parts overnight, wire brush after drying and there's bright metal! No good if you can't immerse though.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Just to let people know i've discovered Finnigans Number 1 Primer is now a discontinuedproduct. I believe its now been superceded by Hammerite Number 1 Rust Beater (which I bet is the same formula with a new name;))
And thanks to Kevin for letting me know it was a Hammerite product, that made all the stuff easy to track down, including the 'gel' rust remover :)
SR
Minor Addict

Post by SR »

how did it go chief, wadya reckon on the jenolite mate?
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I did mention it in passing in another post, but anyway so far the results are mixed. In some places the jenolite did nothing, in the majority it wiped down to bare metal or converted some patches... then the rain fell. So I now (well i was away for a week so dont know whats happened since) but it started raining, so I wiped it down quick and got it inside. Next day went to look, a nice yellow and white deposit now covers the metal :D It does say "Do not get wet" and I think I know why, guess i'll have to attempt to wire brush off the deposits and hope the metal is okay underneath :) Btw slightly ot, I know there are many threads that suggest good paint removers but are there any that dont need washing off (thinking of the paint/rusted area where the back seat goes that I want to totally do up) there's probably no such thing but I may as well ask :)
NZJLY
Minor Fan

Post by NZJLY »

Grinder? ;)
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Yup, with a nice wire brush in it. Wear gloves and goggles (personal experience on both counts...)
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I'd been using a drill and wirebrush :) works well (ish) but im doing work on a car with the carpets etc still in and I can imagine what id manage with stray sparks from a grinder if i ever used one.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

It's not sparky on rust, but bits of paint and rust head for your face at great speed.