Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

HIF38 Air Boxes

Post by Monty-4 »

Hi folks :)

Was the HIF38 ever fitted to inline A-Series engines? All the air-boxes on the market seem to be for Minis and would point the wrong way, foul on the fuel pump or some other part!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Roni
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: HIF38 Air Boxes

Post by Roni »

I have an air box from a metro on my similar setup. The only modification I made was to trim a little off the intake tube to clear the radiator.

uax12
Minor Friendly

Post by uax12 »

One way to do it is what the previous owner of our 62 saloon has done. Get the standard 1098 air box and ally base plate. File the fixing holes on the base plate so that they match the carb ones. Then file the air hole to match the port down the centre of the carb (round the shoulders off for better air flow at the same time). You can now fit the standard airbox, but, you need to remove the pipe from the airbox baseplate and make that hole as big as you can (but still keep the lip around the edge that the top slots into) so that more air can enter.

You can then run the normal paper element...... OR you can be cunning and fit a K&N inside the box. I measured up the diameter of the hole in the bottom of the paper element and its height and then trawled through the application guide part of the K&N website until I found something that was the closest in size. I got one (which I'll have to dig around to find the part number at some point as I need another) which was the right diameter but just a tad short. I solved that by packing the top of the filter out with a disc of 60thou modellers styrene sheet.

Looks standard (even with the HIF on), you get better airflow,and you can forget about it for 100K miles!

Edit: I think if I remember correctly that the filter I used was designed for a CAT earthmover!

Andy G
62 4dr
67 GPO van
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

ive got a hif 44 on mine and the airfilter is made by ram air contact a series spares for details
[sig]5641[/sig]