Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Original toolkit.

Post by firedrake1942 »

Can anyone please tell me a) what was in the factory supplied toolkit and b) what colour they were on a 1957 4 door. I have seen a jack painted a lurid shade or red. Is that correct?
P1130526a.jpeg
P1130526a.jpeg (110.27 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
As far as I can tell, I have a black vinyl case with ties, a stitrrup type pump with wooden handles, several starting handles (One very bent) a screwdriver, and a tyre lever - No jack, I do remember having one but have no idea where it is. Apart from auto jumbles were would I make up any missing bits.

Photos of restored tool kits would be appreciated.

JM
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Original toolkit.

Post by ianmack »

According to Ray Newell in Original Morris Minor the 948 cars had various tool kits over the years but the plastic case type had jack, hubcap remover, tyre lever, plug spanner and tommybar, and a combined wheelbrace and starting handle. I have seen original paint bright red jacks and wheelbraces but I don't know what years had them.

There are plenty of Morris tools on fleabay.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Thanks, it looks like the later ones were painted red but I don't know about earlier Series III I have all the main bits and will get stripping, de rusting and painting, but I suspect black at this stage. I would love to know how they were originally dispatched from the factory and just higgledy piggledy in the black case would cause chipping etc. Someone suggested brown / greaseproof type papers ??? There doesn't seem to be lot on concours section on this aspect.

jm
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

if you want an original kack, I have one in the 'for sale' section................
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

the plastic case type had jack, hubcap remover, tyre lever, plug spanner and tommy bar, and a combined wheelbrace and starting handle
We have the original tool kit that came with our 1958 Minor, and it is in two parts - the jack and starting handle/wheel brace/jack handle is in the vinyl wrap and separately we have a smaller vinyl wrap with tyre lever, hub cap remover, plug spanner/tommy bar, a selection of open ended AF spanners and a small pair of pliers.

All painted black. The jack vinyl wrap case is looking somewhat worse for wear, but the contents are still used occasionally. Is there a source for the vinyl case?

We do also have a wooden handled stirrup pump, but I don't know if it originally came with the Minor - possible though?
Richard

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Mine is a 1957....now they tell me it is black. I have just repainted the stirrup pump black and the starting handle red...... Back to the wet and dry. Ho hum

jm

[attachment=1]Tool kit.jpg[/attachment]

found this but it is a) a US car and b) 1960 vintage.[attachment=0]Tool kit.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Tool kit.jpg
Tool kit.jpg (38.03 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
Tool kit.jpg
Tool kit.jpg (38.03 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Don't rely on the jack they are useless :lol:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The starting handle and jack in my 1958 car are both black painted. I agree that later on they were supplied red.
I have always found the jack to be perfectly adequate for its purpose - to change a wheel quickly at the roadside. I wouldn't want to work under a car supported by it but wouldn't under ANY jack really. The weakness in the design is that many cars are now badly corroded around the jacking points. If you let this happen - to any car, not just Morris Minors - then jacking needs to be thought through with care......
Learn about your car and if the jacking points are weakened then fix them or at least carry a jack which can be safely used elsewhere :wink: