Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
youngb506
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Sudden lack of power

Post by youngb506 »

I've suddenly got a sudden lack of power on acceleration but it's intermittent. It doesn't sound like a misfire and the engine doesn't stop. It idles fine and revs fine but under load it holds back. I've got a Distributer dr capacitor and the points haven't closed up. Any ideas? This happened at the same time as the clutch seems to be going but after a day of thinking about it, I can't see how they're linked.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Sudden lack of power

Post by oliver90owner »

More likely connected to your recent loose manifold bolts. Loose again? Requires new gasket? Manifold casting warped?

Have you checked the plugs for electrode colour, after a run, to see if it is running rich or weak?

May just need a good service check to make sure everything is within spec.
youngb506
Minor Friendly

Post by youngb506 »

Good idea. The plugs were lighting but about the right colour. I checked the manifold bolts and one of the nuts were a little loose and I also tightened the bolts holding down the carb and the air filter to the carb. Went out for a short spin and all seemed fine with one stutter. This morning within a few yards the problem was back and the engine cut out several times but started agin with a couple of pulls of the starter. Still doesn't sound like a misfire.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

If the problem started 'suddenly', as you say, my first question would be - have you adjusted or replaced anything very recently? That might give you a clue. Otherwise, I would check over the ignition system - check for a strong blue spark at the plugs and make sure they and their leads are in good condition and connected well. Also check other leads/connections in the ignition system ( e.g. coil/distributor). I twice had the symptoms you describe - once it turned out to be the coil HT lead was loose, the second time the dizzy cap was hanging off one of the clips! Check the dizzy cap for cracks. If all good in ignition system then could be fuel. Is the pump delivering efficiently? Maybe the carb piston and suction chamber need cleaning - if they are dirty the piston may stick a bit. Enough oil in the dashpot?
A lot of things to check, but your symptoms could be caused by any number of things...................
youngb506
Minor Friendly

Post by youngb506 »

Gives me something to think about. I took the coil off to try in another car a couple of weeks ago and the screw in terminal was hard to get in and out but it doesn't seem loose. Topped up the dashpot recently. More head scratching this evening.
youngb506
Minor Friendly

Re: Sudden lack of power / oil from coil

Post by youngb506 »

Just found oil seeping out of the coil somewhere around the + terminal. Surely this is the problem?
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Not surely but likely.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Indeed, it may be the exception that proves the rule! :wink:
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Modern coil, shed in faraway place?etc...
youngb506
Minor Friendly

Post by youngb506 »

Proper Lucas coil fitted rather than the cheap pattern one I bought ten years ago. Problem seems totally cured. There was a star shaped cracking around the + terminal of the old one and quite a lot of the oil had dropped out.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Result! That pattern coil did well to last 10 years though! :D